Chapter 37- The Art Of A Queen

We arrived at Cyllage City the following morning

We arrived at Cyllage City the following morning. I had wiped my tears on my sleeve, shut my eyes and bit the inside of my lip.

"No more crying." I told myself. Stern. Strict. Abided.

Crying is weakness. Crying will give your secret away.

I had hidden everything under the rug again. Pushed it aside and tried to forget about how I broke apart in front of my crush. It was better to implode than express my emotions. For once, I was not proud of love.

Gary and Ash strode down the bustling sidewalk on either side of me. Gary, knowing there was a slight tension, kept the mood lightened by asking a series of utterly useless questions, to which, Ash answered heartedly and I gave a couple of grumbles.

Ash had picked up the chipping pieces of himself and temporarily glued them back together. Perhaps this was due to his excitement of seeing her today, even if just on a stage. Or possibly, the action of passing on his glumness onto me. I wouldn't have said he was quirky, there was still a saddened undertone, but better.

It was the new ruler's first performance as Kalos Queen and practically the whole region had gathered to see it. Aria had sat on her throne for a while now and no one would have thought she'd be thrown off so swiftly. Like a deft placing upon the royal floor.

The crowds thickened the closer we got to the stadium. Chatter and noise of Serena's last preformance flitted from every mouth, passing in one ear and out the other. I began to wonder how strange it would be to see Serena enter as Queen, dressed in an elaborate gown rather than her normal performance outfit. I wondered how I would be able to drag my legs out that stadium after she finished.

The crowds were too thick. Throngs of people, practically stacked one on top of the other. Weren't the stadium gates open? Shouldn't people already be filing through the central doors in order to get front row seats to the most anticipated Master Class of the year?

"There are so many people." Gary remarked and resultantly I threw him an irritated look for his obvious statement. He just shrugged in response.

"Let's see what's going on. There's clearly a hold up somewhere." Ash suggested and simultaneously began threading his way through the crowds. People looked down upon his clawing and scuttling, even as I and Gary took his path, only two paces behind.

We came to the stadium gates only to find them locked. No one was moving anywhere. Complaints about the hold up clung to the air, filling my ears. I cursed under my breath. Why hadn't they opened the gates? Registration for the performers started 45 minuets ago and audience members should have been let in fifteen minutes after that.

"What's going on?" Gary pondered while Ash took the steel bars into his rough hands and shook the gates. They were tall and sturdy, barley budging with his force. I sighed, not even bothering to try answering Gary's question.