Chapter 23- Painstaking

Okay so this could be a depressing chapter in many ways😂😂 this chapter may also jump about a bit so just bare with me. Can't wait for next chapter!!! I just want to start writing itttttt!!!

So sorry the update was late. I did spend some time writing up my new book (well, one shot) for Valentine's Day so that took up a lot of my writing time for this story. Supper sorry, hopefully I can update quicker next time!
__________________________________________________

 Supper sorry, hopefully I can update quicker next time!__________________________________________________

I lost.

My eyes were red as I stared back at them through the changing room mirror. I just managed to drag myself out of my dress and had soon collapsed into the dressing chair. An upsetting sigh left my mouth in a very unattractive manner.

I lost.

They picked her over me. After a tie breaking round, I failed to impress. She was awarded a stunning princess key while I was lead off stage with the weight of defeat drooping my shoulders. Those last few moments continued to repeat in my mind as I glared at the girl in the mirror. She was unable to win.

I lost.

The very idea sent a tremble down my back. It spiked my breathing rate and caused a glassy film to form over my eyes.

There was a small knock on the changing room door.

"Yes?" I said in a hoarse voice. The door creaked open and a familiar honey blonde peaked her head through. Her cerulean eyes scanned over me, looking perplexed at my appearance.

"I know you're upset but you have to understand that everybody loses sometimes. You can't win everything, despite how much you might want to. Wait, are you crying Elaina?" Serena asked and my head snapped up. I pulled a fake smile and whipped away any water attempting to escape my eyes.

"N-no! I don't cry!" I shouted, desperately trying to cover my red, puffy orbs. Serena muttered something under her breath that I couldn't decipher.

"Whatever you say. But we should be going, Ash and your brothers are waiting." My best friend explained. I sighed, not at all pleased with the entire situation.

"I don't want to see my brothers, they'll have a lot to say about my loss." I complained, finally leaving the safety of the dressing chair. Serena put a hand on my shoulder to comfort me and I looked into her ocean blue eyes. They held a contagious tranquility that I was eternally thankful for.

"Don't worry, I'll shut them up." She gave me a wide smile.

"Thank you." I whispered.

"Besides, Eevee deserves a treat after all her hard work today." She noted as we walked out the door.

"You're right, Eevee still did really well today." I gave a small smile. We walked through the halls of the backstage area in silence. I, contemplated life while Serena softly hummed a tune to herself.