Chapter 38- When Things Look Up

I awoke in the dead middle of night to an ear splitting scream right beside me

I awoke in the dead middle of night to an ear splitting scream right beside me. The noise rattled my insides and practically pierced a hole straight through my eardrums. My frame continued to quiver in the aftermath.

I jolted awake, desperately searching for a way to turn the screaming off. But there was no off button, unfortunately.

"Elaina! Stop screaming!" I turned to her, forcing myself to yell over the racket. She paused briefly, looking at me with a distraught expression. She tried to form an explanation but couldn't spit out the words, so instead, she screamed again and pointed towards the tent entrance. I followed her finger to find the most terrifying shape peering through the open zipper. It was shadowed in pitch and most certainly not human. A distorted block of ebony that reared back with the shock of Elaina's screaming. And quite frankly, this horrid sight made me scream too.

The very corners of the tent, and beyond, was filled with our high cries. Fear and pure shock ran cold and heavy in my veins. I'd never really been scared of monsters in the dark, but suddenly awaking to find an intruder this inhuman was completely unnerving.

"Serena!" I heard my name called by a familiar voice I could only assume was Ash's. Fingers digging the tent into the forest shrubs, I awaited his assistance in ridding us of the oddly creature. Possibly, afterwards his soothing voice could ease the nightmares I'd have in days to come.

But that was not what happened. There were no nightmares and no need for saving. In fact, the early hours of morning harbored nothing but contentment. The next thing Ash said made that unadulteratedly clear.

"Greninja? Is that you?"

*.                     *.                      *.                       *.

Stood before the four of us was a lanky, blue Pokemon. Webbed feet and yellow spots. Long coiled tongue and beady black eyes. Exactly how I remembered him.

It didn't matter the hour, the Pokemon's arrival was a celebration. All intensions of getting back to sleep were forgotten, a distant memory.

I smiled gently, knowing that this encounter would spark Ash's happiness. And I had missed the power that radiated off Ash when he was with Greninja. I missed the wholeness he felt, it would set his ambitions roaring.

The raven haired boy drew a massive grin, so large, his eyes squinted and wrinkles bunched below his temples. The very air around him clouded with joy, swirling and billowing like cold winds.

He was here. He was here for him.

Gary looked confused, cocking his head and studying the Pokemon as if another from his science lab. But this was unlike anything he had ever seen before and he was yet to know that. For now, all he could do was watch as the tale unraveled alongside Ash's excitement.

Elaina still shivered in the aftermath of her fright. Twitching and sharp intakes of breath. But she couldn't draw her eyes away from the Pokemon and I saw her make connections in her head that this was indeed, the bond phenomenon.