Chapter 35- Our Nostalgia (Part 2)

A/N:

Oh, you thought the biggest plot twists were over? Hahah, sorry to burst your bubble but we're about to get pretty ugly before we get pretty. Cause sometimes you've got to run through the mud before you fly. And yes, we have had a title change. I hope you like it cause I do!

The population of Ambrette town had probably tripled overnight

The population of Ambrette town had probably tripled overnight. People had piled in like an overflowed river in rainy season, all due to the performance today. The town streets were bustling, alive with activity and angst. Morning blaze settled like a blanket across every exposed surface, casting a warm golden sheen. From where I stood, the dappled silver scales of reflected light spilling over the ocean resembled the glowing orbs used to vote in performances. The water was beautiful, in all of its aspects.

"Wish me luck!" A melodic voice exclaimed. My attention snapped from one scenic view to another; from ocean to Serena. Unlike most, the sun's glare didn't smother her smile, instead, she absorbed the light and reflected it back again. Her arms were open wide, inviting me into a casual hug.

"You don't need luck. You've got talent." I told her, wrapping my arms around her middle and squeezing so tight it was almost medically possible to paralyze her. But, I was jacked up a on parcel of uncertain emotion. I didn't want to let go in utter fear. Fear I wouldn't get her back. Why? I'm not even certain myself.

Serena gave a gasp of surprise at the sheer fortitude of my embrace but soon buried her head in the crook of my neck, giggles fanning across my shoulder. In the background I heard faint conversation from our other two companions. Gary had somewhat filled in for me as Elaina's argument device and I found their squabbles rather entertaining.

"Do they do this often?" Gary asked her, referring to Serena and I with concerns of what he would call flirting. At least, as he informed me at our lunch yesterday afternoon.

"Just try traveling with them." Elaina sighed in response. I ignored them thereafter. Their rousing constant negativity was most certainly not music to my ears.

With much hesitance, I let my arms unravel from Serena's waist, gently placing her feet safely back on the ground. She continued to smile up at me in a meticulous way. I began to wonder all the ways I could preserve that smile. How I could burn it into my memories as if I had been branded. No matter what scorching process, as long as I could see that smile whenever I pleased.

"Shout loud enough for me to hear you." She whispered delicately. She was being very deliberate and literal. A challenge no doubt. She knew how much I loved to pounce on any challenge.

"Don't I always?" I asked rhetorically with the raise of an arched eyebrow, earning me only a series of giggles in response.

"Well, see you guys later!" Serena bid goodbye for the umpteenth time this morning, however, this time, her and Braixen --who had spent the morning out of her Pokeball in preparation-- began pushing their way through the throngs of people in the direction of the Master class stage.