Peter Parker ♡Bitter

(A/N: Indirect sequel to [comfort]. You could read that, but this is a standalone. Huge spoiler for TASM2, however.)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A sweet, quick soft kiss on his forehead.

A stolen kiss on the lips, long and passionate.

Sometimes rough, tired kisses when both of you had had enough.

But nothing bitter. You both were adjusting to bitter things, no sense to have more hurt when you wouldn't need it.

Everyday both of you thought of her.

Everyday you called yourself out on dating your deceased best friend's boyfriend.

Everyday he told you it was alright. Told you that Gwen wouldn't be bitter.

You hoped so.

Because both of you needed the one thing life would never give back; Gwen. And you weren't sure if she would forgive you if she came back.

***

Once he came back hacking and coughing, bloody and broken. One in the morning, but you tended to him as she would have.

Sometimes he scooped you up in his arms and kissed you, and you kissed back as she would have.

He'd remind you that without you, he'd be a goner. Alone. You were his light in the dark, the shoulder to lean on and his love.

Sometimes, you cried yourself to sleep. Because you'd never be her. As much as you would try, you could never replace her even if you wanted to.

And once,

He found you crying.

And he wrapped you in his arms, and murmured comfort, sitting with you. When no one was there, you were. And it was his turn to take up the duty, it was his turn to protect you.

Because he loved you.

He fell for you, after her. Fell for your kind heart, your beautiful eyes, wonderful personality and blissful soul. He loved every fibre, every inch of you, and yes, he had loved her.

But you were the reason he stayed.

You were the reason that he saw the beautiful, pristine white he thought he'd never see again in all the darkness.

He fell for you, and you only.

And he explained it to you as you sobbed in his arms.

"(Name), stop trying to be her. Please."

A breathy okay from you.

"I love you."

"I love you too."

And, right then and there, that was all that mattered. Gwen may be bitter, you may be bitter, maybe even Peter was too, deep down, but as of then, Peter had one priority.

And it was you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Credit to readyaimfireaway on deviant art