Peter Parker ♡Worth Waiting For

Worth Waiting For

Originally posted by matthew-daddario
Peter Parker x Reader

Worth Waiting For

Prompt: None

Note: It has been literally forever, but Hannah and I have been swamped with school and I spent a while without a laptop and I'm still super, super busy, but I had a thought while I was on Tumblr (while I was supposed to be editing my manuscript, but I digress...) so here you go. As you all know by now, I'm a ho for soulmate AU's. So yeah. But I've missed you guys a TON and I hope over break maybe I can do some more writing.

Warnings: None?

You watched the numbers on your wrist tick down. Twelve hours. A glance at the clock. It was nearly midnight. Tomorrow at lunch. Tomorrow. At. Lunch.

It was so close. Too close. All your life, you had watched the numbers roll by, but it had been so far away. Now it was here. Now it was real. And God, was it scary.

You had no idea who your soulmate was, no clue until tomorrow when you would lay your eyes on them for the first time. Would they reject you? Some did. It was uncommon, sure, but it happened. Maybe it would be one of the preps that was waaaaaaaay out of your league, or a jock with a pretty girlfriend and too many college scholarships to waste his time on you. You hoped they would like you, whoever they were. Or that they would at least give you a chance.

You let out a long sigh and stared at the ceiling of your apartment. There was no way you were getting any sleep tonight.

***

Peter Parker was a nervous wreck. Sure, he was a superhero that could bench-press a car like it was nothing, but being a hero doesn't make you brave. Not brave enough to face something like this. No. Today was the day he was going to meet his soulmate.

"You doing all right in here?" May pushed open the door slowly.

"Does this shirt look all right?" Peter stared at the fabric of his red sweater, stretching it out with his hands and then smoothing it into place. He fussed over his hair and examined every bit of himself. He had already spent like half an hour brushing his teeth and he knew he would be sucking on breath mints all morning just to make sure his breath was fresh enough for a kiss. Well, if his soulmate wanted one, that was. God, he was not prepared.

"You look fine, Peter. You look good. Whoever your soulmate is, they will love you. You know that, right?" She straightened the collar of his undershirt. He swallowed nervously and nodded. Her little nephew was growing up so fast. "How much time have you got?"

"Like five hours."

"Are you okay?"

"No."

"I wasn't either." She reminisced. Peter couldn't take his eyes off of his reflection. He was silent for a long time. "Don't wanna be late, kiddo."

"Right." He inhaled a shaky breath before walking out the door of his bedroom and then out of the apartment.

There was no going back now.

***

"Who do you think it is?" Your friend Lizzie asked, looking around the cafeteria with paranoia. You were dressed up nice today, a cute lacy red dress, matching lipstick, red flats, hair on point. You stared at the numbers, instead of looking around like the others. You didn't want to know. It was here. It was already here. And it was terrifying.

"I don't know."

"If you don't look up, you're going to crash into something."

"I know." You continued to watch your wrist as you walked through the cafeteria.