Peter Parker ♡Hesitation

I legit can't write for anyone other than Peter now ahhh
Hope you guys don't mind xx

Title: Hesitation
Pairing: Peter Parker x reader
Summary: A slightly jealous conversation and close proximity leads to more between you and Peter
Word Count: 1,284
Warnings: None
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Ok, here, listen to this one," you insisted, handing Peter the headphones once more.
"Come on, Y/N," he replies, rolling his eyes with a sheepish grin on his face.
You were sitting in your bedroom, listening to some of music you had picked out for Peter. He wasn't a music buff, but you demanded that he spend a few hours listening to the music you recommended, and he'd do anything to see a smile on your face.
Thus, he accepts the headphones and looks at you as he listens intently. Peter pretends to understand the musicality of the song, but for the most part it's just sound waves travelling through his head. But if this made you happy, he'd do it. Besides, it was a good excuse to spend time with you.
"So?" you asked as the song finished. "What's your rating?"
Peter shrugs. "It was alright. I liked the chorus part."
You gasp, looking at him in surprise. "Did Peter Parker just use a musical term?" you teased, earning a look of annoyance from him.
You grin, punching him lightly in the shoulder. He looks away, taking off the headphones and leaning back against your bedroom wall. He begins a rebuttal, but his attention is pulled away as his phone buzzes.
It's a text from Mary Jane, and he immediately types up a reply. When he finishes, you've got a small smirk on your face. Peter flushes, embarrassed at your reaction and knowing exactly what you're going to say.
"You and Mary Jane, huh?" you asked, one eyebrow raised suggestively.
Peter chuckles. "We have biology together," he clarifies, a blush creeping up his neck.
You nod in response, not convinced, and Peter can tell. Peter changes the topic though, spinning the conversation to you.
"What about you and Jacob?" he asks, having the same suggestive look on his face as you once did.
Now it was your turn to laugh. "Just a friend," you reply, "and have you seen his SnapChat? Gross."
Peter laughs, shrugging in response. Jacob was really just a friend of yours, someone you knew from having band together. Sure, he was a little flirtatious, and to any outsider it would seem like you were a thing, but you could never see him that way. You thought Peter had known better too, but apparently not.
You sigh, going on your phone to find the next song to show Peter. The conversation overall was just so awkward. You hated talking about crushes with Peter, because even though you were best friends, you never had the guts to tell him who you liked. It would be kind of awkward to suddenly tell your best friend, "Hi, I caught the feels for you in freshman year but haven't had the guts to tell you until now," right?
"Did you really think Mary Jane and I were a thing?" Peter suddenly asks, still stuck on the previous topic.
You shrug in reply, a slight flush on your cheeks. "I mean, I guess so, yeah," you answer. "You kind of talk about her all the time."
Your sentence comes out a lot harsher than you mean, and before you know it you're blushing and trying to backpedal out of the situation. You could not be the jealous best friend and ruin Peter's chances with MJ. Were you jealous? Yeah, but you knew better, and besides, Mary Jane was a catch and you weren't about to stop Peter. You're in the midst of explaining yourself when Peter interrupts.
"I'm sorry, Y/N," he tells you, brow furrowed. "I didn't realize I talked about her that often."
Peter's genuine in his response. He thinks about your previous conversations and realizes how often MJ came up in conversation. The last thing he wanted to do was to be one of those guys. Suddenly, he was a lot more self-conscious of his actions around you.
He didn't mean to alienate you, but when he saw you talking to Jake all the time, it made it hard to express his feelings. Instead of talking about how he feel towards you, Peter just found it a lot easier to talk about how he felt towards other girls.
"It's fine, I really don't mind listening," you lied quickly, a small smile flashing on your face. "That came out the totally wrong way. I'm happy for you, if you are a thing or whatever."
Peter chuckles lightly. "Thanks, but she's really not my type," Peter replies, face scrunching a little bit.
You smile, amused at his reaction. "What is your type?" you ask, taking a chance.
Peter turns sheepish, unsure of how to answer your question. He lets out a few awkward laughs, trying multiple times to start an answer, but never finding the right way. Finally, he shrugs, giving you an embarrassed look.
"I don't really know," he answers.
You nod in response, biting your lip as you look away. That wasn't the answer you were expecting, but you didn't really know what answer you were expecting. You can feel Peter's eyes trained on you, but you're not sure what to say.
"Got any other songs?" Peter asks, gesturing to your phone.
"Yeah," you tell him after a quick pause. "Yeah, I do. Here, listen to this one."
The song begins and Peter listens in silence, concentrating on the music. You watch his face change as he focuses and the song progresses. His hands are clasped together, resting under his chin and elbows resting on his knees. You try not to completely stare at him, but you also couldn't help but take in every detail of his face.
During points in the song, his eyes flicker to you before focusing on the carpeted floor. He caught your stare, and that would've been awkward in any other context, but neither of you could really be bothered to care. It was already clear what was on your mind, but Peter wasn't sure if he had to guts to initiate it.
The song ends and you lean over to help him take off the headphones. Peter's hands are on top of yours as you hold the headphones, slowing down the movement. His hands stay on top of yours, warm and comforting.
"What do you think?" you ask him, noting the close proximity.
Peter pauses, swallowing as he looks up at you. He could feel the electricity in your touch, but did you feel the same way? Despite years of being friends with you, in this moment, he couldn't read you.
"About you or the song?" he finally asks, voice quiet.
A blush sweeps over your cheeks as you're surprised by Peter's sudden boldness. You hesitate, unsure of what to say. Was he implying what you thought he was? Was he just flirting for fun? It made your head spin, thinking of the possibilities.
Then you can feel Peter's thumbs rubbing yours, anchoring you to reality and what was in front of you. Peter looks at you hopefully, and that's when you realize words wouldn't cut it.
You lean in and kiss him, no trace of hesitation. Peter reacts immediately, allowing himself to move with you. Your heart is racing - the culmination of years of liking Peter - as you finally kiss him. Peter feels the same way, fingers trembling as his hands rest on top of yours and lips moving against yours. Nothing had ever felt this perfect before.
The kiss ends, a smile on both your faces and adrenaline still in your veins.
"I liked the song," Peter finally tells you, "but I like you a lot more."
You're beaming at his compliment, still giddy from that moment. "I like you a lot too."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Credit to imaginesnthings on tumblr