Chapter 4: Serpent's Shackles

When All is Lost One is Found

Author: Rinoaebastel

Chapter 4: Serpent's Shackles

Disclaimer: I don't own Harry Potter and gain no profit from this fanfiction other than writing practice. Harry Potter is owned by JK Rowling.

AN: This story may contain scenes taken from the Harry Potter movies and books, but it's not exact dialogue, just rewording of dialogue or omission. It is not marked.

They didn't leave for Hogsmeade until the other Hogwarts students had boarded the train and the night had fallen. None of them spoke as they made their journey, the only noise breaking the silence and announcing their approach were the leaves and branches crunching and cracking underneath their feet.

Tonight, his life would change along with his friends, Avery, Mulciber, Rosier, and Wilkes. They were going to join an elite group. Even though he was a Halfblood, he had the honor of catching the group's attention. He tucked his hands in his sleeves and wiped his sweaty palms on the fabric. He had to make himself relax. He refused to show weakness in front of these people. If he did, he could be disposable. He knew what the Dark Lord did, but if he gave him free reign to live and accomplish his desires, then he'd do whatever ordered.

"There he is," Avery said with a low voice. Severus looked ahead. In the distance, near a large house, they saw a man with long blond hair. He stood straight, chin held high, and was clothed in black. In his hands he held a cane with a silver serpent top. As they approached the man, he saw it was Lucius Malfoy, their old prefect for Slytherin.

When they arrived, Lucius greeted them with a sly smile, and then with a fast movement, raised his cane to them. It was either an invitation to touch it or a warning not to come closer. Severus decided to let the others act first.

Each took a step forward and touched the cane. Malfoy pulled out an old silver watch and looked at it as if he were bored.

"Aren't you coming, Severus?" he said. "You-know-who is expecting you as well, my friend. No need to be cautious."

He grunted at his words, extended his arm, and touched the cold metal with two fingers. His other hand was hidden inside his robes, clutching his ebony wand because he wouldn't have time to prepare if he needed to protect himself. Not that he'd have much of a chance against the Dark Lord or the Death Eaters if they decided he was unworthy.

Their bodies twisted into amorphous masses of flesh and bone for a few seconds until they once again returned to their normal forms. As soon as he recovered his eyesight, Severus looked around.

They'd apparated inside a large hall illuminated with multiple yellow candles. Several pictures of monsters known for their bloodlust hung on the wall. There was a green rug on the floor with a Slytherin symbol, which was an indication that this was the house of a pureblood. The only furniture was four chairs in each corner of the room, as if this room served a specific purpose.

Chills went down his spine as he felt a presence at his back. He almost ran but locked his knees and forced himself to remain stationary.

"Ah, Malfoy, these are the ones?" The snake-like voice was so cold it could freeze a lake if the owner wanted it to. With his head raised and his posture like that of a soldier, he turned to look at the man he was expecting to meet, the Dark Lord. A powerful wizard second only to Dumbledore.