Chapter 97: The Death of Begging Eyes

When All is Lost, One is Found

Author: Rinoaebastel

Chapter 97: The Death of Begging Eyes

Disclaimer: I don't own Harry Potter and gain no profit from this fanfiction other than writing practice. JK Rowling owns Harry Potter.

AN: This story may contain scenes taken from the Harry Potter movies and books, but it's not exact dialogue, just rewording of dialogue or omission. It is not marked.

His body materialized in front of Malfoy manor. He could've flown inside, through an open window, but thought that much too showy. As disgusting as the Dark Lord was, the dark art he shared with him was useful. Disturbing, yes, but that became less so every time he used it. And it was harmless. The dark mark was far more dangerous.

The gates opened in front of him, the magic recognizing his presence as he approached. Everything was extremely quiet, as if the rude habitants had left. He knew that wasn't the case. He climbed each step, his body the perfect figure of control and stoicism. He walked through the halls without hesitation, but then stopped when he got a few meters from the meeting room.

He could feel impending death reeking from the room. It had an aura all on its own when it was around the Dark Lord. Thick. Heavy. Cold. When this happened, it meant they'd brought someone to torture.

He forced himself forward to the door.

"Severus, my friend," the Dark Lord said, the S taking on a typical hiss as he spoke. "Come, sit at my side. I am overjoyed you managed to come."

Severus bowed deeply and moved to the Dark Lord's side, taking a seat at his right. Nagini moved over to him, hissing, and rested its head briefly at his neck before moving back over to the Dark Lord. It was as if the snake was hugging him as a welcome.

"Do you bring me news?"

"I do, my lord. The Order of Phoenix will be moving Potter next Saturday from Privet Drive. It will be at nightfall." He did not falter in his sentence and left no doubt of his confidence in his information. It was enough that the other Death Eaters began speaking amongst themselves.

"My lord, I have information from an auror," Yaxel said. "Dawlish said they won't move Potter until the night before the boy's birthday.

Severus smiled with mockery. "Of course, you'd think so since you put no effort into looking deeper. My source says they will release false information to protect him. And we know that an auror is very susceptible to confounding charms."

"Continue, Severus." The Dark Lord looked back at him, ignoring Yaxel's interruption.

"Potter will not use any regulated transport. They don't trust the ministry enough for that. It's likely they'll be out in the open since it's not expected they would do so."

"Perfect," the Dark Lord said. "I can finally take care of the boy in person, and you, Severus shall be at my side. I trust you in this. We've committed many mistakes and some of them I must shoulder."

He didn't let his surprise over the admission show on his face, nor did he say anything to acknowledge the Dark Lord had made mistakes. No Death Eater would dare agree with that even though it was true.

"Malfoy, I will need your wand," the Dark Lord said with a smile on his face. Malfoy lowered his head and nodded.

He almost felt pity for Malfoy.

Almost.

A cry interrupted the silent exchange. Everyone looked toward the source of the sound. A body was floating in the middle of the table. Blood was pooled atop the oak table and a small drip would occasionally create a ripple. He looked at the woman's ripped neck, her bloody face, and her nearly severed hand.

She was staring at him. "Sev...Severus..." She coughed. "Pl...He...Help me. Friends...We are...friends. Please..."

Everyone around him laughed at her plea. His heart ached at seeing her here. He met her eyes, but let nothing but coldness show through his expression. Thorough the fear in her gaze, he saw kindness, a pleading that stabbed into his chest. She really didn't think that he was evil. She wouldn't have been stupid enough to beg if she had.

But... Friend. He hadn't thought on it much, but it amazed him that she still called him that after knowing he killed Dumbledore.

Seeing her at the end of her life, hearing her beg for his help, was pure torture.

The survival of too many still depended on him, yet he scrambled for something he could do for her. He was paying attention to the Dark Lord's cruel teasing of her, as an idea came to him. He silent cast a spell and entered her mind.

"I'm sorry," he said.

"Kill me. Please, Severus."

Snape pushed back the thoughts of Dumbledore, and risked granting her request. He heard the Dark Lord speaking as he dug into the various layers of her mind and ripped, yanked, and jerked them apart. Though it wouldn't fully kill her, he knew she was gone to this world, beyond feeling, as a green light from the Dark Lord hit her body. It fell limp.

At his side, he heard the Dark Lord hissing. He was having a conversation with the serpent in Parsel. Nagini hissed in return and without looking at her owner again, slinked down the table with a vile elegance filled with evil, torturous intentions.

Her mouth opened, her fangs extended, and her mouth clamped over Burbage's head. Severus was barely able to keep a cringe at bay. He thought of several terrible ways to die, but death by snake was by far the worst.

"I will see all of you except Malfoy on Privet Drive in two nights."

"Yes, my Lord," everyone said and stood.

The Dark Lord gave a nod before he left the room. Severus looked at the serpent. Burbage's head had disappeared already. He watched as the serpent dislocated its jaw and got one of her shoulders into its mouth.

He resisted shuddering before leaving the room and the people who remained within it. Not even Bellatrix had dared to say anything against him; he would not press his luck. Bellatrix had said nothing about the vault, which meant that the Goblin's hadn't felt the need to inform her of his entrance. Maybe they assumed it wasn't really him, after all he wouldn't be there when, or if, they checked. Or perhaps she didn't believe him since the sword was still there. It was hard to tell anything about those creatures and the woman wasn't exactly the paradigm of logical thinking.

All the Death Eaters looked distressed and in a hurry to leave. He flew away when his boots touched the stone path in front of the manor.
When he was inside his room, he ripped off his Death Eater robes and tossed them as far as he could. He stood there, taking deep breaths, trying to relish the cool castle environment. Moments later, he let his body fall back onto the mattress behind him.

He clinched his eyes shut and forced the events, Burbage's begging and death, behind a mental wall. That guilt would live with him forever. He'd liked her, so her plea would live with him, echo in his mind, until the day he died. It would be right there along with many other things.

The worst still had to come before he'd finally rest.

And he wasn't speaking of sleep. . .

AN: This was a bit dark and finally his "nightmare of day ends" but just for now...They year just begun. Hope you let me know what you think and see you next Saturday.