Chapter 35: Shattered Trust

When All is Lost, One is Found

Author: Rinoaebastel

Chapter 35: Shattered Trust

Disclaimer: I don't own Harry Potter and gain no profit from this fanfiction other than writing practice. Harry Potter is owned by JK Rowling.

AN: This story may contain scenes taken from the Harry Potter movies and books, but it's not exact dialogue, just rewording of dialogue or omission. It is not marked.

September 1996

Dumbledore had been silent the moment he'd walked into the office and sat down. He assumed that being asked to come had something to do with the order. Now the normally peaceful silence had grown tense and uncomfortable. His neck felt stiff and his lower back ached from sitting in the high backed chair for too long.

"I want you to keep from giving Harry too many detentions," he finally said.

"Why?" he replied. "If he deserves them, then he should get them." He knew even the other students saw how Potter was treated by other teachers. He'd heard Ravenclaws, Hufflepuffs, and his Slytherins talking about the favoritism shown to the brat. One of the few indirect compliments he'd ever gotten from students was that he was a balance to said favoritism.

"Harry is going to help me some nights. I need him."

"He is incompetent. I doubt he is useful."

"It's vital for his fight against Voldemort, Severus. Please try to be less harsh."

A key instrument to the fight, and he wasn't aware of it. "And why didn't I know about this?" He folded his arms across his chest as irritation grew.

"I don't want to give you all the information. You spend too much time with the Dark Lord."

His lips parted with incredulity and he let his arms fall. He was a spy. His spy. If he hid things from him, how was it supposed to help?

"It's all because you order it," he snapped.

"It's a precaution."

"I never gave you reasons to distrust me, Albus. I endured kills, torture and you don't tell me even though I put up with those things."

"You know it's a wise plan of action. If he accesses your min—"

"So now you don't trust my skills either? He is only able to see what I willingly show him and you know it." A small sarcastic snort came from his throat. "You ask too much of me, Albus. The only thing I gain is becoming a target to both sides!"

He said he trusted him, but he always kept secrets that could help him end this war. If not that, then telling him these things could make it easier for those who will have to fight. He'd always known he was a tool, but he thought some part of this man cared for his well-being. All he knew now was this man was a manipulator. Albeit for the greater good, but still a manipulator.

"I do trust you, Severus, but what I'm doing with Harry will be his mission. I believe he is the one capable of doing it." Albus looked at him with sad eyes.

"I see." He was hurt that he didn't tell him about that mission of Potter's when it was his task to protect him. His life was linked to that purpose. His debt with Lily and the fall of her killer was the only things that mattered to him.