Chapter 122: Answering the Future

When All is Lost, One is Found

Author: Rinoaebastel

Chapter 122: Answering the Future

Disclaimer: I don't own Harry Potter and gain no profit from this fanfiction other than writing practice. JK Rowling owns Harry Potter.

AN: This story may contain scenes taken from the Harry Potter movies and books, but it's not exact dialogue, just rewording of dialogue or omission. It is not marked.

August, 1998

The August sun came through the window, blinding his lazy eyes and forcing him to hide his face in her curls, snuggling. He let a grin come across his lips as he heard a familiar giggle, but didn't open his eyes. He was still tired and it was too early to rise.

Since sharing a bed with her, his nightmares had lessened and his sleep had deepened. The same was happening with her. She cuddled in her sleep as well, something he welcomed. This was their life, and it felt like a dream. There was more waking only to wonder if it would be their last day alive. There was no more hiding.

They struggled to get out of bed each day. Not because they were tired but due to just being happy to rest in each other's arms and kiss each other's lips. It was definitely strange at first, but now he was growing more used to it with each morning that greeted them.

This peace was more beautiful than he ever dared to imagine. He rubbed his eyes as the warmth left his side.

"We have to get supplies," she said with a sleepy voice. "Ugh."

That made him smirk. How many days had they been living in this bubble. Other than the trip to Australia and the daily owl that delivered the Prophet, they hadn't encountered many people.

He rose from the bed and yawned as he watched Hermione wrap a warm fuzzy robe around her.

Today they would have to venture out, something he actually enjoyed rather than dreaded. Though, right now he wanted to do nothing more than to drag her back to bed and sleep until noon.

"Shopping at a muggle supermarket isn't the way I thought I'd end up courting you," he joked. He hadn't even pondered courting her at all until his recovery. Hadn't thought he'd be given the chance.

"Court me?" she laughed. "I'm already in love with you." He stood, put on his own robe, and went into the kitchen for some breakfast.

That was true, but neither of them had spoken about where they wanted to go from here. They were already living together, but eventually they would need work. They were the types that needed to research and find new things to challenge them.

"That doesn't mean I should stop doing it," he said and opened the cupboard to remove two mugs. He placed them on the table and saw Hermione pour them some coffee.

"Then by all means, do it forever," she said as she fed Crookshanks. He almost dropped the scones he'd removed from the other cabinet.

Before he could reply, a flapping sound made him twist his body in haste. After that, he heard a small peck.

They looked toward the window and he saw the little owl on the sill. Fawkes was beside him, his fire gone and his appearance that of a red and gold bird.

He opened the window. The little owl flew over to him and perched on his shoulder. Fawkes perched himself on the back of a chair.

"Fawkes, what brings you here?" he said as he fed the little owl a piece of scone. The phoenix spread its wings and jumped to the side, leaving a large envelope. It flew over to Hermione, offering her another letter.