Chapter 36: Similar

When All is Lost, One is Found

Author: Rinoaebastel

Chapter 36: Similar

Disclaimer: I don't own Harry Potter and gain no profit from this fanfiction other than writing practice. JK Rowling owns Harry Potter.

AN: This story may contain scenes taken from the Harry Potter movies and books, but it's not exact dialogue, just rewording of dialogue or omission. It is not marked.

September 1996

The soft wind caressed his skin. The black cloak moved at his back, making a calming sound as the hypnotic movements continued. Sometimes, this quiet environment was accompanied by a flapping sound or a hoot. The battlements of the owlery always gave him peace.

And he needed a fairly quiet place to think.

The conversation he had with Dumbledore repeated inside his mind as his heart suffered the feeling of betrayal. He'd let himself be used for an objective, but he had been deceived about the why.

He was tempted to stop his services and leave the boy, but he was a man of his word and had to carry through with the mission. He'd protect the boy as well as he could until the time came. Living just another day was valuable to someone like Potter.

He closed his eyes as a gust of air moved his hair.

Dumbledore was a manipulative man. He used every pawn he could acquire if that meant he could free the world from the Dark Lord. That murderer, that corruptor of souls. He was glad he still kept a part of his heart. He was glad he could feel even the anger and bitterness in his life. He needed to focus on his emotions, or he would be lost to the darkness.

The Dark Lord was the reason for the despair everyone was suffering. If Potter had to die to end it, so be it. The problem was that he might not be capable of giving the information to Potter when the time was proper. He wasn't naive. His probabilities of dying were high if he was going to kill Dumbledore. Both sides will eventually want his blood. He could outrun them for a while, but not long. He was still a man who needed to sleep and eat.

He could trust no one. Not even Albus as he demonstrated a few hours ago.

He was not a fool anymore. He looked at the vast forest in the distance and the calm path that went toward the lake. He rested his shoulder against the wall and enjoyed the view for a moment. His heart and dark feelings had calmed partially.

A lonely figure interrupted his view. He arched an eyebrow when he distinguished who it was. Granger. She still was alone, so she likely hadn't resolved her issues with Potter and the Weasley.

They were stupid if they let her go as an ally. Potter would've already died if not for her.

He noticed how the woman sat at the edge of the lake. She removed a book from her bag and started to read. That view reminded him of his teenage self. Friendless, focused on his studies, enjoying a good book at a quiet spot. He furrowed his brows. She could be the key. Maybe he could count on her. He could try to confide in this young witch. She was near Potter, she would be with him until the end, and she had brains enough to see reason and keep secrets.

But the most important thing of all. Is that with time, he could trust her because she already did with him. He wasn't deaf. He knew she defended him to her friends when he had those meetings with the order at Grimmauld place.