Chapter 131: Guests

When All is Lost, One is Found

Author: Rinoaebastel

Chapter 131: Guests

Disclaimer: I don't own Harry Potter and gain no profit from this fanfiction other than writing practice. JK Rowling owns Harry Potter.

AN: This story may contain scenes taken from the Harry Potter movies and books, but it's not exact dialogue, just rewording of dialogue or omission. It is not marked.

December 1998

A violent flame burst from the fireplace. He turned toward it as he set the teapot on the table. Hermione's hands paused before she could place the cups on the table. Lupin's grin showed through the flame. He felt her eyes peeking around him and knew she was wondering whether she should leave.

Lupin knew about them, so there was no reason to do so. He heard her mutter something and then she just continued what she was doing before.

"I'm sorry for my interruption," Lupin said. "We'd like the pay the two of you a visit. We wanted to give you some of our Christmas spirit," he said to Hermione and then looked at Severus. "I figure you don't do Christmas, so I wanted to make sure you had a good one this year too."

Severus had to admit he was slightly touched at being in the wolf's thoughts. It was unnecessary, but it was still kind of...nice.

"I assure you, he does take part in Christmas, but I would be fine if he decided he didn't want to," Hermione said.

"Merlin, you're starting to talk like him now too."

With that, Severus made a mental note that he should block his flue soon to prevent unwelcome messages and guests in the future.

Hermione wasn't stunned by the words. Instead she stood. "It's up to..."

"Come and have some tea," Severus said, knowing she'd enjoy their company.

"Right, we'll be there soon."

The flame disappeared and Hermione turned to him. "I need to go pick up my notes. Will it be okay if you stay with them for a bit?"

"It's fine, I guess it's safe to assume that he reported your supposed scent to his wife"

"Yes, Professor Lupin noticed my ring a few days ago too. Then Tonks sent me a congratulations letter."

It was odd that they had such support, but it was welcomed for her sake. Her friends meant a lot to her. And he wanted people to know that he treated her well.

He motioned to the ring. "You don't get intimidated by wearing it? By people knowing you're with someone?" His voice became softer and his eyes rested on her hands.

Her lips pressed against his chin. "I want them to know that my heart belongs to you. I know it's not a proper time, but..." She extended her hand and rested it on his, showing the ring. "This ring is reassuring. It makes everything seem less like a dream and more tangible."

He lifted her hand and kissed the ring on it. "Go and get your notes, I promise I won't murder them."

Hermione nodded. Tonks and Lupin arrived just as she was leaving. She excused herself quickly and left the room.