Chapter 72: Without A Stumble

When All is Lost, One is Found

Author: Rinoaebastel

Chapter 72: Without A Stumble

Disclaimer: I don't own Harry Potter and gain no profit from this fanfiction other than writing practice. JK Rowling owns Harry Potter.

AN: This story may contain scenes taken from the Harry Potter movies and books, but it's not exact dialogue, just rewording of dialogue or omission. It is not marked.

March, 1997

Severus took a small sip of the tea, careful not to burn his lips on the hot cup. When the liquid touched his tongue, he almost smiled at the taste. After a week, finally he had managed to calm his mind. Thankfully, nothing had been lost due to the reckless stupidity of his emotions.

He rested the cup on its saucer, the porcelain meeting porcelain greeting him with a soft clink. He unfolded the magical newspaper and scanned it, looking for specific topics. The newspaper was mostly boring repeated drivel, but that was welcomed for now. Fortunately, there was no news of any more attacks by the Dark Lord, but he knew that would end. Soon, the world would fall into darkness piece by piece, controlled by terror and fear.

A spark of light caught his attention at the corner of his eye. He folded the newspaper and set it on the table next to him before walking over to the fireplace. Flame after flame appeared until a large green fire developed in front of him.

Someone was trying to communicate with him and there was a good chance that the reason was a problematic student. Dumbledore was avoiding him as if he had a disease worse than the curse afflicting him. He took the potions just to survive long enough to be killed.

The old fool.

He heard rushed and slightly panicked voices through the flame. He frowned. Whoever it was could at least come up with what to say before they contacted him.

A familiar voice hushed the rest.

"Severus? Are you there?" Pomfrey asked.

He straightened and put his full attention into the conversation. "I am. What's the problem?"

"Thank Merlin you're there. We need you in the infirmary. Mister Weasley has been poisoned and we need you to identify the venom. Potter used a bezoar on him so he's safe now."

His scowl deepened as each word reached his ears. Poison? Potter? Bezoar?

Weasley had been poisoned? How did that happen? He snorted. With the way the boy ate at meals, it wouldn't have surprised him if he hadn't accidentally grabbed some and downed it himself.

Though he didn't know the cause, he knew who likely caused it. Something like that didn't just suddenly show up at Hogwarts.

"I'll be there soon." With a wave of his wand, he extinguished the flames. He donned his robes and left his rooms, making sure to ward them well before he left.

-/-/-

His long black robes floated behind him, a consequence of his fast pace. He could have used the flue transport, but that would be hindering since he had to decipher a poison. Flue transport left a small trace of ash in the hair and skin, making his sense of smell less than ideal for detecting a poison. He learned long ago that the slightest item or circumstance could cause inaccuracy.