Chapter 24: Lured

When All is Lost, One is Found

Author: Rinoaebastel

Chapter 24: Lured

Disclaimer: I don't own Harry Potter and gain no profit from this fanfiction other than writing practice. Harry Potter is owned by JK Rowling.

AN: This story may contain scenes taken from the Harry Potter movies and books, but it's not exact dialogue, just rewording of dialogue or omission. It is not marked.

June 1996

Umbridge had called him to her office. While he dreaded the interaction, deep down he was curious at what she wanted. Since she'd "earned" her new position, he'd been inwardly laughing and enjoying all the miserable attempts she made in trying to extinguish the problems that every teacher, student, and ghost created. He'd been adept at avoiding aid to her ever since she'd proclaimed herself Headmistress of Hogwarts.

He had to admit that he got further enjoyment at the fact she targeted Potter frequently. He could tell the current environment was slowly perturbing the boy.

His mind went back to the time Potter's vial fell and smashed into pieces when he accidentally hit it with his finger when taking notes.

Another perfect zero for Potter, and he'd relished in giving it to him. Adored the hateful look Potter had bestowed upon him.

He knew that he was being vindictive and he didn't care. He said he'd help protect the boy, not keep him from suffering. Besides, the boy didn't need to become a skilled Potioneer. He had Granger to brew illegal things if he needed it.

"Did you call me...?" His words stopped when he opened the office door. A couple of Slytherins was holding Granger and other Gryffindor students at wand point. Potter was restrained in a chair with rustic ties.

How could those idiots let the woman catch them?

"Severus, thank Merlin you are fast. We have a problem. That one we talked about and how we need to make this young man realize he can't break the rules at will. I need more veritaserum."

The verbiage that Umbridge sputtered in that moment made him look at the boy then back to her, his eyes filled with indifference. More veritaserum? If he hadn't have given her water she would have poisoned the students she interrogated.

"All right, but I will need to brew it since you have used up all that I have prepared." He sniffed. "Even though I suggested that two drops were enough."

"I was in desperate situations. A little more didn't hurt."

He pursed his lips. "Indeed not."

"How much time do you need? We're in a hurry." He lifted his eyebrows at her stupidity. And this woman worked for the ministry?

"A month," he replied without emotions even though he was enjoying how this irritating woman was at the edge of pulling out every strand of her hair. "If you don't require anything more, I need to start."

Umbridge released a cry of frustration. "You are as useless as the rest of them! Get out of here, Snape, and keep in mind that you are now on probation."

Narcissistic fool. He would not allow himself to be bested by this woman. He knew Dumbledore would come back as soon as she was thrown out and dealt with.