Chapter 77: Fate's Deaf Ears

When All is Lost, One is Found

Author: Rinoaebastel

Chapter 77: Fate's Deaf Ears

Disclaimer: I don't own Harry Potter and gain no profit from this fanfiction other than writing practice. JK Rowling owns Harry Potter.

AN: This story may contain scenes taken from the Harry Potter movies and books, but it's not exact dialogue, just rewording of dialogue or omission. It is not marked.

April, 1997

A gust of wind blew, whipping back his hair, and causing dogwood blossoms to rain down from their trees, coating the area in pink and white flowers. He didn't normally like spring weather, but this exact time of year, he thought was quite lovely. Almost magical. When the flowers fell, their mixed colors reminded him of some spells and potions.

He took a deep breath. It was the quietest Easter he could remember. Some students chose to remain, much more than during holidays like Christmas, but this year they were quieter and could be easily manipulated in leaving him alone.

Not that any would really seek him out.

"Professor!" His steps halted when he heard the voice.

No one would except Granger. And he was fine with her interruption.

He heard her quick steps approaching. He pushed down a smile, but he couldn't halt the way his heart beat faster. The temptation to look back at her hit him, but before he could give in, Granger's flushed face was in front of him. Her eyes sparkled in the spring sun, and she looked at him with an affection that never failed to throw happiness into him.

But there was something different about her. She was more thrilled than usual.

"Good morning, Miss Granger. What can I do for you that warrants a matutinal run?" He couldn't help joke with her.

Her hands came to her hips in response and she chuffed, blowing some of her messy curls away from her face.

"One has to run to catch you. You walk too fast."

"And why do you want to see me this early?"

They began walking.

"I wanted to thank you for whatever you did."

"Clarify, please."

"Harry and Ron are talking to me. Harry even apologized."

"And Weasley did not?"

She sighed and rolled her eyes. "I'd have a better chance of tutoring him into perfect marks than getting an apology from him." She squeezed his arm and then let go. Thankfully, they were out of sight of people. He found himself wishing he could walk with her without worrying about such things. Her words brought that line of thinking to a halt. "If it weren't for you I don't think I'd ever have them back."

It was a beautiful feeling to make her happy. To be needed.

"You were suffering. Though I don't think they're good enough for you, you needed them back in your life."

She nodded. "I did, yes. But ... Well, it will take time for me to learn to trust them again."

"Oh?"