Chapter 134: Betrayal Memory

When All is Lost, One is Found

Author: Rinoaebastel

Chapter 134: Betrayal Memory

Disclaimer: I don't own Harry Potter and gain no profit from this fanfiction other than writing practice. JK Rowling owns Harry Potter.

AN: This story may contain scenes taken from the Harry Potter movies and books, but it's not exact dialogue, just rewording of dialogue or omission. It is not marked.

The snow fell around her, layering her warm Hogwarts cloak with white sparkles that didn't melt as quickly as they would if the weather had been warmer. Every time she took a breath, a pleasant puff of smoke emerged from her mouth and collided with the open air.

He followed her, avoiding the crowds even if he couldn't feel himself bumping into them and vice versa. She was walking, looking around at the different shops, when she slammed into another person. A redhead one that wore a Gryffindor scarf like hers around his neck. Ronald Weasley. He'd also slid on the ground, landing on his back.

"Ouch, Hermione, look out," he said. Severus thought something odd about the boy, something different.

She giggled, got to her feet before he did, and extended her gloved hand. "Sorry, I didn't see you. I was searching for the potions shop. They seemed to have moved it. Is Harry and Ginny with you?"

Weasley got to his feet. "I left them at the three broomsticks," he said and moved a bit closer to her. She cringed. "I know where it is. Would you like me to show you?" Hermione hesitated and decided it would be better to find it on her own. It was very unlikely that Ron would pay attention to where they moved a shop like that. And something felt off. He could feel the nervousness and warning signs going off in her brain. "No, thank you, Ron. You should go back to Harry and Ginny. I'm sure I can find it, so there's no need for you to waste your day. I just need to buy a cauldron," she said and walked past him. "See you later."

Since he knew what happened he wanted to control this memory, change it. But that wouldn't change the past. And besides, it was impossible.

He followed and studied the boy further. There was no trace of a curse, no visible spell. Most imperius spells could be seen in some small way.

He followed them, dreading to see what would happen next, but needing to know as well. They stopped when Weasley grabbed her arm. They were in a less crowded alley, and fear struck him.

The only thing he could see was Weasley's flushed cheeks, and Hermione wrinkling her nose every time he exhaled. He felt terror start to bubble up inside her.

"Is...is the cauldron for your boyfriend?"

She pulled her arm away and studied her "friend," giving herself time to think of a way to respond. She sighed.

"Ronald, I'm engaged."

The boy staggered back. "En—engaged..."

She nodded. "The gift is for my fiancée."

"Ah...but...um... there aren't many people that like potions. Maybe you should get him something to do with quidditch or something less nerdy. A cauldron doesn't sound wise."