Chapter 30: Future Blackened Soul

When All is Lost, One is Found

Author: Rinoaebastel

Chapter 30: Future Blackened Soul

Disclaimer: I don't own Harry Potter and gain no profit from this fanfiction other than writing practice. Harry Potter is owned by JK Rowling.

AN: This story may contain scenes taken from the Harry Potter movies and books, but it's not exact dialogue, just rewording of dialogue or omission. It is not marked.

August 1996

The only light that illuminated the small bedroom came through the window, showing the slightly reddish face of Severus. He moved around. To one side. To the other. He threw off the sheet that covered him and growled. He stared at the ceiling and extended his arms to each side of the bed, trying to cool down his body. It was futile.

He had an invader in his home that he didn't trust not to poison him with his cooking, or curse him during his sleep. But the main cause of his insomnia was the fact he hadn't received a single word from Dumbledore. He hadn't even been summoned to meetings.

He closed his eyes. He needed to sleep but he couldn't since he couldn't deliver the information he had. He focused on his breathing and surroundings. He felt that his intruder was already unconscious to this world and that was the only time he could let his guard down. But only for a couple of hours.

When he sensed a flash of light near him, he opened his eyes and looked at the window. A huge red bird was blocking the view from inside his house.

His body reacted in an instant. He got up, grabbed his wand, and pointed at the bird. He lowered it when he realized who it was.

"Fawkes?" It flew over to him and landed on his shoulder. Was Dumbledore finally calling him? His talons gripped tight and then a burst of flame covered his whole body along with the phoenix.

The first thing that he saw when the flames disappeared was the pictures looking concerned. He looked around the room and his eyes fell to the scattered parchments on the desk and floor, and the ink tipped over. He trailed his eyes across the floor until he spotted a broken ring and a hand reaching out from behind the desk.

"Albus!" In two large steps, he was at his side. He flipped him onto his back.

He checked his pulse and saw the Gryffindor sword on the floor not much further away from the headmaster. When he felt the heart beat, he sighed in relief. He was still alive.

He searched the wizard and cringed when he saw his hand. Everything clicked.

With a movement of his wand, he revealed the curses nature just as he did with Granger's. It was deep black, rushing through his muscles, veins, and nerves. He swallowed. This could kill him soon if he didn't act fast.

He muttered enchantments on the rotten hand, trying to seal the curse, but each time he tried, it broke the confinement.

How long had he been suffering with this? It definitely wasn't new.

Waving his hand, he tried to contain the curse again, charm after charm, until the seal managed to remain stable. But he knew the spreading wouldn't stop. Not with this kind of curse. He should have called him before this happened.