Chapter 38: Only a Quill

When All is Lost, One is Found

Author: Rinoaebastel

Chapter 38: Only a Quill

Disclaimer: I don't own Harry Potter and gain no profit from this fanfiction other than writing practice. Harry Potter is owned by JK Rowling.

AN: This story may contain scenes taken from the Harry Potter movies and books, but it's not exact dialogue, just rewording of dialogue or omission. It is not marked.

Friday in September 1996

"Class dismissed."

A huge wave of breaths reached his ears. Some students let their bodies fall for a moment on the floor, sweating, and others were injured slightly by small hexes. For his irritation, the only boy who was on his feet was Potter. He had to admit that it was good he was improving on spell casting, but of course, he was incapable of doing it non-verbally.

His eyes rested on the rest of the class that was still trying to compose themselves. No one had but he was sure that if Miss Granger were her normal self, she would be the first. Another thing that irritated him.

She needed to fix her emotional state and friendship with those two idiots or she would be useless to fight in the war.

Maybe he should ask Minerva to talk to her.

He blamed Potter and Weasley the most. After all she'd done for them, they still acted like she didn't exist. In return for her not being around them, their idiotic behavior seemed to increase. Merlin, even the Weasley boy had dared to kiss a girl in his class. An interesting fact considering he told Granger he was focused on his mate, Potter.

Good friends indeed.

A blond head caught his attention right before the owner left the room.

"Mister Malfoy, a word before you go." The boy turned and looked at him with disgusting superiority.

The class had seemed to stop their movements at their colliding eyes, waiting for a reaction of submission. The boy just showed him his back and walked from the class without saying a word. Whispers rose from the students, but he didn't pay attention to them.

Malfoy had just ignored him as if he were nothing. How dare he!

His lips formed a straight line. He had to remember this was completely normal after the fall of Malfoy's family from the graces of the Dark Lord, but the boy was being stupid if he didn't even share his plans with him. If he were a normal student, he would have paid the worst punishment he could have given. But the boy was the Dark Lord's puppet and that made him untouchable. He couldn't blow his cover.

He was going to get them both killed at this rate.

He heard a snap in his hands and looked down. The quill in his grasp had broken in two.

"Out," he said with a threatening voice as a desire to stab the broken quill into someone grew.

The students were wise to not remain near him and they scurried out like rabbits.

He sat down and covered his forehead with his hands as he felt a headache coming on. He needed to find a way to get to him.

A brown feather slid on his desk and in front of his range of vision, confusing him for a moment. In an instant, his hard features took control of his face and looked up to find the intruder.