Chapter 58: Changing Christmas

When All is Lost, One is Found

Author: Rinoaebastel

Chapter 58: Changing Christmas

Disclaimer: I don't own Harry Potter and gain no profit from this fanfiction other than writing practice. JK Rowling owns Harry Potter.

AN: This story may contain scenes taken from the Harry Potter movies and books, but it's not exact dialogue, just rewording of dialogue or omission. It is not marked.

December, 1996

Green sheets and a thick comforter pressing against his body kept him warm against the cold environment of his dungeons. It was a pleasant cold December morning. It was unfortunate that Christmas had to go and mess it up.

He'd never liked Christmas. Never had a reason to. As a kid he wanted to celebrate, but was never able. He'd never had a Christmas tree because it was always too much effort to put up, or a waste of time, a waste of electricity or whichever excuse his father made. If his mother made an effort, it would result in drunken abuse from his father. Presents never existed until he became a teacher at Hogwarts. The only ones who dared to give him something were Minerva and Dumbledore.

The desire to stay in bed was appealing. In the end, he decided to give in to temptation and snuggled further into the covers. He closed his eyes and was about to nod off again when a purring came to his ears. His eyes shot open.

Granger's cat was there, with its ginger fur and his flat face staring at him with his orange eyes. How in the world did that fluff ball get into his living quarters? Examining him more as they dueled with their eyes, he noticed that the animal was waving with his tail, comfortable and happy in his presence. But why was the animal there. What did it want?

It came closer to him, squeezed under a small gap in the blankets, and proceeded to nuzzle his neck. He caressed the furred head. A smile spreading on his face as the animal meowed in acceptance.

"What are you doing here, furball?" he said with a rough voice, a consequence of just waking up. "Shouldn't you be with her? It's Christmas and she's alone in that tower."

The cat used his whole body to caress him until he turned, hitting him in the face with his tail. The animal left the blanket's warmth and trotted toward the foot of the bed. He looked in the direction. There were gifts there like every Christmas, but instead of two, there were three.

Did she . . . ?

Elves would place the presents there, so she probably sent the cat to make sure he opened it. A strange feeling of excitement hit him. He sat up and moved closer to the gifts. The cat patted the silver package with his paw. The other packages were green like always. He knew the long box contained Scottish Whiskey that Minerva sent. He only used it when she visited and wanted a drink. He waved his hand and sent it to the kitchens.

He moved his hand to grab the other green one and the cat hissed.

"I'll get to it. Be patient."

The cat sat down roughly and he almost laughed. The animal was so much like her that he couldn't help but be fond of it.

He opened the package, and as expected, there were the Slytherin socks that Dumbledore always gave him. He waved and the socks went over to his trunk.