Chapter 94: Vaulted

When All is Lost, One is Found

Author: Rinoaebastel

Chapter 94: Vaulted

Disclaimer: I don't own Harry Potter and gain no profit from this fanfiction other than writing practice. JK Rowling owns Harry Potter.

AN: This story may contain scenes taken from the Harry Potter movies and books, but it's not exact dialogue, just rewording of dialogue or omission. It is not marked.

The goblins didn't even glance at him as he entered Gringotts. The wizards and witches there were another matter. He felt every eye on him and every ounce of hatred they carried for him. Everyone was frozen, as if he'd done it by spell rather than them doing it on their own. He intimidated the humans present. Admittedly, he'd never get over the thrill of having power over people like this.

He ignored everyone and walked up to a counter. He waited for the goblin to stop scribbling.

"I need to go to my vault," he spoke when the creature's eyes fixed on him.

"Of course, Professor Snape, but you must prove that you are who you say you are." The goblin sneered with a small hint of malice, which he assumed it was their typical way of behaving and not because they had cared for Dumbledore.

He showed his wand and the key to his vault. The goblin inspected both items. He'd barely visited Gringotts in the past and never mentioned the Prince family. He had nothing from his heritage there. He'd saved a significant amount here since the only things he bought were food, an occasional book, and potion ingredients. He was proud that he'd earned everything he had in that vault from his own effort.

The goblin nodded and motioned for him to follow.

He let the goblin guide him to his vault. The trip took less time than he expected. There were so many caves and corridors that he found himself slightly impressed at the goblin's knowledge of the area. It was even more difficult to navigate since the only light in the area was a few candles spaced apart at random distances.

When they stepped off the cart that brought them there, he pointed his wand and stunned the goblin.

The goblin fell to the floor and he crouched next to it. He retrieved a tiny vial from his pocket, uncorked it, and poured a bit down the goblin's throat. Only a drop was needed for his purposes. He raised the goblin to his feet and forced him into consciousness, but not before adding a confundus spell to accompany the veritaserum. He didn't want the goblin to recognize him.

"I need to know where Bellatrix Lestrange's vault is and any dangers within or on the way towards it."

"Go down until the waterfall ends. Then go to the right until you find a blue dragon. The only obstacle is the beast. There is an enchantment to abolish any kind of treachery spells."

"How do I open the vault?"

The goblin rummaged through his robes until he pulled out a copper master key. Severus took it and put it in his pocket.

"I appreciate your help," Severus said. With another wave of his wand, he made the Goblin unconscious again. "Obliviate."

He took a deep breath, walked to the edge of the floor and tried to distinguish where the waterfall ended. There was only darkness.