Chapter 118: Outcome

When All is Lost, One is Found

Author: Rinoaebastel

Chapter 118: Outcome

Disclaimer: I don't own Harry Potter and gain no profit from this fanfiction other than writing practice. JK Rowling owns Harry Potter.

AN: This story may contain scenes taken from the Harry Potter movies and books, but it's not exact dialogue, just rewording of dialogue or omission. It is not marked.

Tired. Thirsty. Weak.

Those words crossed his mind as the first flash of morning light attacked his closed eyes, making him protest with a growl. A sharp pain came from his neck at the action. He lifted a hand to it, but before it reached its destination, soft fingers curled over his wrist, making him stop.

Only one person was brave enough to do that kind of gesture.

He forced his eyes open and saw her. The sunlight was shining down on her as if she were being blessed by some holy being. She had a few small bruises on the edges of her face along with a few injuries covered by plasters, but looked unharmed otherwise.

She smiled at him. "It's all over," she said.

Over?

It was...

Those words were hard to grasp. He looked around him as best he could. There was a curtain covering most of the area where he was, but he could see some of the damages the battle caused. He heard people speaking in the distance and could smell the scents of various potions being used.

He looked back at her. She'd saved him.

"Hermi—" His voice gave out and he cringed at his throat's rawness.

Her hand move to rest on his chest, and he lowered his arm to the bed. "Voldemort is dead, Severus. You're free. You have to recover, so try not to talk. It's been four hours since the battle's end."

"Hm," he said, the noise not hurting as much as speaking.

She chuckled, leaned over, and kissed him on his forehead.

"I know you have questions, but I'm not sure how to answer them. Not even I understand what just happened. I helped in the fight but...You need to know that Harry—"

The office door opened, interrupting their conversation. He didn't let his shock show as the almost a spitting image of James Potter, walked to his bed.

Wasn't he supposed to be...? Yes, he should be dead.

The younger Potter stopped to stand beside Hermione and looked at him. "Um...I'm glad you're alive, Professor Snape."

He'd be lying if he said he expected that. "Hm."

"And..." Potter shifted a bit on his feet. "I'm sorry for everything, and thank you for everything you did. I saw the memories you left and told people you were always on our side. Everyone knows what you did."

"And he didn't know you were alive when he told either," Hermione said.

"Right."

He almost let himself chuckle at that. It didn't matter. "Severus." Hermione's hand on his arm made him flinch by instinct. It was on the mark. She lifted his sleeve and he saw only a scar where his Dark Mark used to reside.

"Ho...How?" he said and looked at Potter.

"Well, Voldemort did kill me, sir, but it was only the part of him that was inside me. I came back, and I stopped him." The boy removed something from his sleeve. Dumbledore's wand. "This wand was mine and the killing curse rebounded to him." He held out the wand to Snape. "I want you to have this, sir. I want you to hide it because I know I can trust you." His eyes moved quickly to Hermione then back to him. "Both of you."

He raised his hand and took the wand in his grasp.

"I'm glad Hermione could save you," he said. "Both of you deserve to be happy together."

He couldn't hide his shock. "Po..." he tried to say but Potter cut him off.

"Some of your memories showed the two of you."

He mentally cursed his carelessness, but then again, he'd been dying. He wasn't able to focus easily as the venom slowly took the life away from him.

He looked at her and she blushed. "Harry it's a—"

"A secret. Yeah, I won't say a word. It's none of my business anyway," he said.

The three all looked at the door as they heard someone walk through it.

"Mister Potter, the ministry is looking for you to present your proof," Pomfrey said and then smiled kindly at Severus. "But the world probably already has word about what Severus did."

"But will they believe it?" Hermione asked, the worry in her voice clear.

"He's the savior, so most will," Pomfrey said. "Of course, there will be people who doubt, but it will be few."

"After I give them the proof they'll have no choice but to believe."

Severus almost wanted to tell him to forget about the proof. He'd done terrible things, so he deserved to be punished for some of them even though he did them because he was spying and had no choice.

When Hermione took his hand and squeezed, he instantly changed his mind. He had to stay with her. She was proof that his soul had never been truly dark and was just lost among the grey.

"Besides, even Dumbledore is talking about what he had you do. And you have McGonagall, Lupin and me. But we do need to get you away from here." She turned to Hermione. "Do you have a place where the two of you can stay? People will start barging in here, trying to push Severus when he needs to recover." Her eyes came back to him. "How about Spinner's end? It's in a muggle environment. It could do well."

He almost wanted to laugh at that. Even if he hadn't burnt it down it would be a terrible place. There were still Death Eaters lurking about, and they knew where it was. It was also still registered as his home, so if people wanted to find him there it wouldn't be difficult.

"I know a place," Hermione said.

"Then you two should go as soon as possible. I will send you his treatments via owl every week. Severus, you are forbidden to speak for a week, and I don't want you leaving the bed unless necessary."

He nodded, not feeling like arguing. He was too tired. Too curious about what the future held. Too amazed that he actually had a future with a witch that he loved.

AN: And we start the final arc of this story. I hope you liked it and let me know what you think. If everything goes well, see you on Saturday.