Chapter 99: Hourglass

When All is Lost, One is Found

Author: Rinoaebastel

Chapter 99: Hourglass

Disclaimer: I don't own Harry Potter and gain no profit from this fanfiction other than writing practice. JK Rowling owns Harry Potter.

AN: This story may contain scenes taken from the Harry Potter movies and books, but it's not exact dialogue, just rewording of dialogue or omission. It is not marked.

August, 1997

His hands rested against the desk as he only half listened to Dumbledore's words. He'd already gotten confirmation about most of the topics he was speaking of. That what the entire magical world feared was happening. He didn't have the energy to say anything to the portrait, so he just focused on the sand falling in the hourglass.

He didn't need Dumbledore telling him how the agents of the dark were nearly done infiltrating the ministry. The portraits placed in the ministry had retrieved information and shared it with him. He knew exactly how many Death Eaters held key positions in the government. He didn't need to know that some workers, even aurors, were cowering to the threats and supporting the Dark Lord's ideals. Pius Thicknesse was gaining power, getting votes and support from the controlled media and from other workers. He would be the next minister after the plot to kill Scrimgeour was achieved. He knew the day and hour it was set to happen.

After that, a more dedicated hunt for Potter would begin. The Carrows had told him that much. They were low ranked Death Eaters and were only told most of the information so they could relay it to him, but they were reliable in what they knew.

Thicknesse and numerous others were now under the imperius curse as well, so once he was placed in power the Dark Lord had the perfect puppet to bring his ideals to a growing prejudiced wizarding society.

Scrimgeour was a stubborn and determined man, but that wouldn't be enough to sustain his position. Though he still had many people supporting him, and many supported Potter, people were dying at high rates. They were being threatened and attacked on sight. Death Eaters were destroying their homes and shops if they didn't support the Dark Lord. Or at least pretend to. This went only for those with a strong magical lineage of course.

The populous was scared and fear was a perfect way to gain control of the masses.

The ministry would be attacked today and with that, Potter and Granger would lose the safety they currently held. The burrow was only a temporary safe place now.

When the last drop of the sand in the hourglass fell, the attack would occur.

The Dark Lord had ordered him to stay at Hogwarts, so he couldn't do anything in person to keep them safe. The Dark Lord had been furious with all of the Death Eaters, and ordered him to stay and notify him if the boy dared to get too close to Hogwarts. He hadn't mentioned of course that Granger had told him they did not intend to return to the castle.

He could still help from a distance using the portraits and his potions skills, but right now, his top priority was to contact her. He needed the attack to happen to be able to do that. He needed the Burrow's security to fall.

He took a deep breath, and the last drop of sand fell to the bottom of the hourglass.

Hiding from the view of the portraits and ignoring their frantic expressions, he went to his rooms.

He shut the door to his bedroom, thankful there were no prying eyes in here. Potter and Weasley would be with her, so it could possibly alter their trust in her if they discovered her communicating with him.

He'd thought on everything and decided it was worth the risk. She would think it was.

He lifted his wand, took a few deep breaths, and set about his task.

A silver stream flew from the tip of his wand and he furrowed his brows as the light struggled to take the form of his doe. While the animal was recognizable, it was malformed. The head was too large, her tail was unreasonably long and wide, and the neck and legs were shorter than they should've been. At various places in the form, the mist spread outward, the right front leg struggling to remain corporal. The head lowered itself, as if showing submission.

Seeing his failed patronus, he wondered if his soul was at the point of breaking completely. He had killed Dumbledore; he had destroyed Burbage's consciousness, and ended the life of numerous others. It was tragic that the form was fading, but at least it was good enough to help the witch that had become a small light in his soul.

The mist raised the strange head, and looked at him. His eyes widened as calmness rushed through his body. There was no misery, no pain, and no bitterness. Now he felt it was nothing more than a useful tool for his missions.

"Go to Hermione," he said. "If she is alone, tell her to go to Grimmauld Place by herself. If she is not alone, do not give her this message and wait until you can."

The patronus shivered. Its other front leg lost its form and spread out as if it were smoke. It looked almost defeated at the message he'd ordered it to give. Then, it turned away from him and slowly misted into the air, leaving him confused as to why it was acting that way.

AN: For those who were wondering about the Patronus... this chapter would be curious heh. Hope you liked it and let me know what you think. See you next satuday.