Chapter 102: Intruders

When All is Lost, One is Found

Author: Rinoaebastel

Chapter 102: Intruders

Disclaimer: I don't own Harry Potter and gain no profit from this fanfiction other than writing practice. JK Rowling owns Harry Potter.

AN: This story may contain scenes taken from the Harry Potter movies and books, but it's not exact dialogue, just rewording of dialogue or omission. It is not marked.

October, 1997

The slightly calm and subtle rebellion that he'd hoped for never came. He'd hoped they would rebel in small ways, ways that wouldn't get so many caught and punished, but that hope had been in vain.

As expected, they decided to be idiots and make things obvious. To create targets within their ranks. The blasted Gryffindors were always the instigators of it. The other houses, except Slytherin, followed them. To the Ravenclaws credit, a good portion of them stayed out of it, choosing to focus on their studies.

Small mercies.

The Hufflepuffs loved Dumbledore enough to fight against his murderer and were submissive enough to go along with the Gryffindors' pushy behavior.

He'd had only two weeks after the start of the new school year before the small groups started their tricks, making things increasingly difficult for the Carrows. Though no one had directly done anything to or in front of him yet. He was partially amused at the trouble the Carrows were going through but frustrated that he could not stop the punishments of the students caught in their mischievousness.

With a growl, he slammed the door of the latest scorched classroom as he walked out.

Idiots. All of them.

This recent chaos stank of Potter's gang, and he was half-tempted to torture them himself. This stupidity put other students in danger, but as usual, they thought of only themselves and not the harm they could cause innocent people who just came there for an education. As bad and indoctrinating as the current education was.

The Carrows chose to punish first years that had done nothing if they got a chance. To try to serve as an example to the rebellious students. That doing things against the Dark Lord resulted in punishment. Though they did punish those directly responsible when they were caught, the Carrows always made sure to randomly choose some first years to torture as well. The older students clearly thought nothing of the future damage this would cause many children.

He hadn't slept solidly in a long time. Most of his thoughts were focused on finding a way to keep the innocent students safe without risking his position. If he came across an incident with someone he thought was innocent, he would take the role of the punisher. He'd make the excuse of being bored when the Carrows' questioned his decision. But he couldn't help everyone.
He'd contemplated about talking with one of the staff members about taking on more detentions. He'd even thought about taking a few of the more "trusted" professors and telling them more than he should about his position and opinion.

But he wouldn't. It was still too dangerous. He had to be there in Hogwarts. Had to do what he could himself. He had to shoulder it all.

But he was about to fall under the weight. He didn't know how much longer he'd be able to go on.

His steps halted and he narrowed his eyes at the Gargoyle to his office. It was open.

He removed his wand from his sleeve and held it up as he climbed the stairs, using his years of stealth skills to prevent the invaders from sensing him.

His boots reached the end with a feather touch and he listened to the voices inside the room. Heard objects being moved.

"The sword should be here somewhere," a voice said.

The sword? How in the world did they know it was in his office?

With his wand raised he slammed the door open and the intruders jumped at the sound, one of them dropping an item to the floor.

He looked down at the floor and saw the black scarf Hermione knitted for him.

"So now the Gryffindor house becomes intruders. Just when I think you can't go any lower, you prove me wrong." He didn't need to feign or use a façade to express his disgust. He looked around the room at the intruders. Even the blasted Longbottom had dared to cross him. The muscles of his hand, tensed and he forced them into a fist.

"Miss Weasley, get out of my desk and don't touch anything else in this room." He growled as he lowered his wand and walked towards them.

They all froze in their spots and would befit the icy environment that would be outside Hogwarts in the soon-arriving winter.

The evil part that still brewed in him wanted to break them into tiny pieces. Make them writhe in pain with the various curses he knew.

They were lucky to be Hermione's friends. If they weren't he couldn't guarantee that he wouldn't torture them within a centimeter of their lives. Normally, he would want to relish in their fear, but right now, all he wanted was some time alone.

"Detention with Hagrid tonight at eight." Hagrid was the man he trusted not to be too hard on the children. The worst punishment people got with him was shoveling beast feces. He probably didn't punish the children at all now. He was the safest bet.

"Ha...Hagrid?" Longbottom said, surprise in his voice.

He didn't as much as glance at the students as he walked between them and over to his desk. "Get out of here and make sure not to encounter anyone on your way to Hagrid's."

They all blinked at him before scurrying out like rabbits running from a fox.

When sure they were gone, he bent down and picked up the scarf.

His fingers caressed the material until he found the small silver snake embroidered on it. The memories, the pleasant feelings he got when he'd received it, warmed his heart.

He missed her more with each passing day. Staying here without her presence was harder than he'd imagined it would be. It would've been an absurd thought before, but now it seemed oh so reasonable.

He folded the scarf once and draped it over the back of his chair.

He walked over to the window and looked out. A small smile came to his lips as the last leaves crossed the sky in this long and terrible month of October.

AN: The rebels attack and Severus has to deal with it the best way he can. Hope you liked it and let me know what you think. See you next Saturday.