Chapter 69: The Emergence of a Lioness

When All is Lost, One is Found

Author: Rinoaebastel

Chapter 69: The Emergence of a Lioness

Disclaimer: I don't own Harry Potter and gain no profit from this fanfiction other than writing practice. JK Rowling owns Harry Potter.

AN: This story may contain scenes taken from the Harry Potter movies and books, but it's not exact dialogue, just rewording of dialogue or omission. It is not marked.

February 1997

He wound the scarf Granger had given him tighter around his neck as he walked to the Quidditch match with the other teachers. If he could've avoided this, he would've, but it was important for him to support his house. Especially, when it was a match between Gryffindor and Slytherin. Ever since Potter showed up, Slytherin morale was at an all time low.

He rolled his eyes as everyone cheered as loud as they could. The Hufflepuffs aligned with the Gryffindors this time, but the Ravenclaw's seemed to be split down the middle, with some cheering for Gryffindor and some cheering for Slytherin. They usually picked based on which team had better stats or strategy.

With a sullen face, he sat next to Minerva in the first row. The old woman was waving a flag with her house colors, but it seemed like her heart wasn't entirely into it that day.

"Who do you think will win this time, Severus? Our team has lost some good players, but we gained some excellent ones too." He could tell from her voice that what he suspected was indeed the case.

He didn't care, but he had to pretend to. "McGlaren is an idiot and your star Potter is having another detention." He looked at the Gryffindor towers. "At least you have the advantage that Ron Weasley isn't stopping balls with his head."

The woman huffed and her flag movement stopped. She looked at him and placed her hands on her hips, displaying her stern Professor McGonagall behaviour.

"At least my team doesn't play dirty."

They were Slytherins, what did she expect? Besides, they weren't dirty. They were just resourceful and took advantage when they saw a chance. That's how you survived. If you didn't do it, someone else would. "You don't get through life always playing fair."

He looked away from her and out at the crowds, searching for his friend. Minerva's eyes stayed on him for longer than comfortable, but her focus eventually went back to the game.

He ran his gaze across row upon row of people until he found who he was looking for. He'd wondered if she would come considering her hesitation with crowds as of late and her dislike of Quidditch, but she was there.

Then she looked towards him, their eyes met across the way. The cold seemed to disappear when she smiled at him.

Then someone hit her, breaking their eye contact. When he saw red, short hair, he gritted his teeth. That brainless Weasley had bumped into her as if she were nothing but an obstacle that he could force out of his way. The temptation to rip his head off was immense.

The cheers grew louder from the students as the game started. Protectiveness swarmed his instincts when Granger stood from her seat. The Weasley boy said something. He could only see anger in the brat's expression and couldn't read his lips. The way her eyes narrowed was enough to tell him it wasn't something she liked or wanted to hear. But she wasn't tearing up. Wasn't shaking. She had fire in her eyes.