Chapter 123: Appearances

When All is Lost, One is Found

Author: Rinoaebastel

Chapter 123: Appearances

Disclaimer: I don't own Harry Potter and gain no profit from this fanfiction other than writing practice. JK Rowling owns Harry Potter.

AN: This story may contain scenes taken from the Harry Potter movies and books, but it's not exact dialogue, just rewording of dialogue or omission. It is not marked.

August, 1998

A drop of water fell from his chin and into the sink filled with water. His black eyes focused on his reflection. Usually, he avoided mirrors, and this was the first time he'd paid this close attention to his appearance.

He had to admit that he was surprised at what he saw staring back at him. He no longer wore a scowl on his face. A face he thought to be full of wrinkles was void of all but one or two small lines. He'd gained a bit of weight through his time here. He was still pale, but he could see a hint of color in his cheeks.

He reached up, rubbed his chin, the beard thick against his hand. His hair was longer as well and looked odd with the beard. Not being around potions had caused his hair to fluff out slightly. Despite rumors that he didn't wash his hair, he did frequently. The potion fumes flattened long hair if one didn't pull it back. He could never be arsed to bother doing anything about it.

He picked up the razor but stopped when he saw her in the mirror looking at him. She was smirking and studying him with her head tilted ever so slightly. She bit her lip.

"Spit it out," he said. "I know you have something to say."

Hermione chuckled. She walked over to him and grabbed the wrist of the hand holding the razor. "Hogwarts has no rules against beards," she said. "I know I told you that your beard was a mess but you are extremely attractive with it."

He withheld a grin at the fact she was blushing. "Are you asking me to keep this thing?" He was amazed that she would suggest it. He didn't hate having a beard either. Perhaps this change would help everyone let go of the past Severus. Including him.

"Very well," he said. "I'll trim it up and leave it."

She let go of his wrist and rubbed her hand against his face, tracing around the edges. He assumed it was where she thought he should trim it.

He leaned down and kissed her lips, causing a soft groan to leave her. He pulled away.

"God, Severus...you..." Her choking voice made his laugh hard to stop. The implications of her flushed state always warmed his heart. She was truly a gift.

"I'll soon be back to being the evil bat of the Dungeons."

"Yes, but you're my evil bat of the Dungeons." She crossed her arms and he started to trim up his beard. She went for the door. "Hermione."

She turned to him. "Yes?"

"I need your help with something else." He moved his hand to his hair and her eyes widened.

"Really? Are you sure?"

"Yes, I think I should. No more hiding."

She nodded.