Chapter 67: Burning Away the Past

When All is Lost, One is Found

Author: Rinoaebastel

Chapter 67: Burning Away the Past

Disclaimer: I don't own Harry Potter and gain no profit from this fanfiction other than writing practice. JK Rowling owns Harry Potter.

AN: This story may contain scenes taken from the Harry Potter movies and books, but it's not exact dialogue, just rewording of dialogue or omission. It is not marked.

It was exactly ten of his heartbeats before she squeezed his hands and spoke. "How do you feel about it?"

"Glad, but I wish he had suffered more," he answered with honesty. "Muggle jails nowadays are better than most flats. He deserved to rot in a putrid torture chamber."

"You never spoke to him at all after..."

"He never apologized. He didn't leave any kind of letter before he died. Just this bloody deed that I don't want." He looked at her. "If he was your father would you have spoken to him after he murdered your mother?"

"No, definitely not."

"I only stayed here because Dumbledore refused to let me stay at Hogwarts most of the time. Just in case the Dark Lord came. It would look too suspicious otherwise."

"Dumbledore knows about your memories here?"

"He does."

She caressed his hand with her thumb.

This would've been so different if he had been alone. Never in his wildest dreams would he have imagined a kind woman holding his hand at a time like this.

"If I could, if it would bring comfort, I would burn down the department of mysteries." She squeezed his hand. "But I have to remember what happened and learn from it. It happened for a reason, and I think I've grown as a person because of it and because of you." She smiled. "You are you, because of your past, as bad as it is, and I like you."

His eyebrow arched. "Are you trying to persuade me not to burn this place, Miss Granger?"

"Definitely not. I want you to do what your heart desires, not what others order or even ask you to do."

At that, he could only chuckle softly.

"I doubt I have a heart."

"Don't be ridiculous. You have, you just don't let it show."

"I want to destroy this place. The lessons have already been taught and have done me no good."

"Then I will support you. Get the things you have good memories of and conquer the ire and pain that this place creates."

"That was downright poetic."

Her eyes sparkled, and he felt lighter.

"Let's see what we can find other than your books."

"All right, Miss Granger, but don't get too excited. There aren't many things that deserve to be saved."

She nodded and enveloped the book with her arms. A nice place to be without doubt.

He scolded himself and stood. He walked over to the bookshelf and began shrinking the tomes.

"Should I transfigure a box for your things?'" He made a noise. "I'll take that as a yes," she said, her tone showing no offense or annoyance in the slightest way.