Chapter 26: Curse: Pt 2

When All is Lost, One is Found

Author: Rinoaebastel

Chapter 26: Curse: Pt 2

Disclaimer: I don't own Harry Potter and gain no profit from this fanfiction other than writing practice. Harry Potter is owned by JK Rowling.

AN: This story may contain scenes taken from the Harry Potter movies and books, but it's not exact dialogue, just rewording of dialogue or omission. It is not marked.

June 1996

The hospital wing was almost in the same state as when he left. The only difference was that the previously occupied beds were empty and only Granger was here. Shouldn't her friends be at her side? He shook his head. Considering the privacy that Pomfrey gave her before, the woman likely had banned them from here.

With the potion in hand, he walked to her bed and set the vial on the bedside table. He heard some light footsteps coming behind him and knew it was Pomfrey. She never let anyone enter without permission when there were patients here. She always knew when a person crossed her domains.

He lifted the wand to send a pulse of magic through Granger's body. In an instant, the curse and the seal appeared. It hadn't expanded much.

"I checked a few minutes ago. It's stable for now." He heard Pomfrey's voice behind him. "I assume you completed the cure before you expected?"

"Yes." He looked at the old woman. "I might need your assistance. This might hurt her."

"Do you want me to restrain her?"

"If you think it's necessary, Madam Pomfrey," he replied. He grabbed the vial.

"You don't need to be so formal around me, Severus. I've known you since you were a small boy."

"And that's precisely why I should treat you with respect," he muttered, feeling an annoying sentiment rising. He didn't need to get close to anyone, and less to the woman who healed him all the time and knew his humiliation so well. He was grateful for her aid and she had his respect.

"You're a difficult young man," she replied and waved her hand to restrain her patient with white magic ropes.

He ignored her words and uncorked the vial as his eyes returned to the unconscious girl in bed. She had lived through more horrors than most at her age. How old was she now? Seventeen? If he remembered from the meetings, she was older than her classmates were. It made him wonder why she came a year later.

Pursing his lips, he dismissed his curiosity and moved his hand until it was at the back of her neck. With a small movement, he lifted her head and put the vial closer to her lips.

"If she doesn't swallow you will have to make her by force."

"I know my work, Severus." She pointed her wand to her throat.

He separated her jaws and poured a small quantity of liquid into her mouth, but it remained there. They waited patiently, watching if her body responded naturally.

After a few seconds, the girl swallowed and he let out a small breath. He turned his head to check for the curse. When he saw it was still there, he repeated the action, giving the young girl small sips that she'd be able to manage. After five sips, Granger's body gave a small violent shake and she whimpered. Good. She was responding.