Chapter 87: Avada Kedavra

When All is Lost, One is Found

Author: Rinoaebastel

Chapter 87: Avada Kedavra

Disclaimer: I don't own Harry Potter and gain no profit from this fanfiction other than writing practice. Harry Potter is owned by JK Rowling.

AN: This story may contain scenes taken from the Harry Potter movies and books, but it's not exact dialogue, just rewording of dialogue or omission. It is not marked.

The castle was as chaotic as he figured it would be. It was standard Death Eater damage. Paintings were on the floor and ripped, the windows were broken, and glass coated the floors in the corridors, crunching under his feet as he moved. The smell of smoke drifted in the air. The Death Eater's loved damaged almost as much as they loved taking lives. Even if the damage wasn't necessary, they did it.

A spell crashed against the wall ahead of him. He rushed through the smoke heading toward him and made a left. The fighting was nearby, and he was tempted to stealthily help, but finding Draco was his first priority. If he found a way to help in the process, he would. He could just chalk it up to playing spy. It's not as if the Dark Lord cared if he killed a few Death Eaters considering he would destroy Dumbledore. If anything, it would please the Dark Lord that the weak were culled from his numbers.

His wand came into his hand with a mere thought, the magic effortlessly responding to his will. Flashes of light lit up the area and screams and spell names came to his ears above the rumble of falling pillars and occasional explosions. He kept to any shadows he could, trying to avoid every fool student that tried to fight a Death Eater.

When he was spotted, both sides let him move around the chaos without a single spell in his direction. He would occasionally shoot a spell, but it would be in a way where both sides thought he was fighting the other.

He was impressed that the order had reacted so quickly and was now aiding in the defense. It would do little good. The Death Eaters would not leave until the headmaster was dead.

A red haired boy took a step back, colliding with his side, and disrupting his path. He jerked around to look at the fool. From the corner of his eyes, he saw a green ray was coming towards them. One that he knew too well. Without a moment to hesitate, he grabbed the sides of the student and pushed him, and himself, out of the killing curse's path.

Both fell to the stone floor. After a few seconds, he stood up and glared at the Death Eater, wordlessly persuading him to find another victim. The masked man, fortunately for him, flew to another, this time finding an order member to fight with.

"Foolish boy. Duel with someone you can beat!" His voice was filled with hate as his eyes bore into Weasley's weak form.

"I wanted to help, and I'm doing more than you!" the Weasley boy dared to answer.

"I should've let you die," he growled. He would have if not for Hermione. For some inexplicable reason, she still cared for the brat.

He sighed. "Don't make me regret saving your skin, Weasley." He walked closer to him, grabbed him by the collar, and pulled him to his feet. He pushed him against a wall. "Tell me where Malfoy is."

"I don't know."

"Where are the majority of the Death Eaters concentrating?"