Chapter 6: The Catalyst

When All is Lost One is Found

Author: Rinoaebastel

Chapter 6: The Catalyst

Disclaimer: I don't own Harry Potter and gain no profit from this fanfiction other than writing practice. Harry Potter is owned by JK Rowling.

AN: This story may contain scenes taken from the Harry Potter movies and books, but it's not exact dialogue, just rewording of dialogue or omission. It is not marked.

Note: The timeline does not fit exactly as it would in the books. This is deliberate. It's around the same year, but not the same month.

A wave of heat hit his face but he paid it no attention. He walked so fast his legs ached, and he had to be careful not to stumble as he put less attention to the way he walked and more attention into seeking an uncrowded place. He needed to disappear before Dumbledore noticed and caught him. He knew he was a Death Eater, yet he still called him for a job interview. But he couldn't worry about that right now.

He avoided the people and the children traveling up and down the streets until he found a small alley. When he was covered in shadows, he raised his wand and disappeared from Hogsmeade. When he felt the symptoms of apparating receding, he opened his eyes. He could vaguely make out the structures around him due to the heavy fog, but he knew where he needed to go.

The sound of his feet stepping in mud accompanied his steps until made his way onto the pavement and then upon a stone step. He raised his arm with haste, and knocked a couple of times on a large door. His heart hammered against his chest and he tried to calm his breathing before the door opened.

"Who is it?" a dry voice said. He was relieved that it was his friend guarding the Riddle's mansion.

"It's Severus, Lucius. It's an emergency. I seek an audience now."

"You know that's impudent for you, Severus. Why do you need an audience with the Dark Lord?" he asked when he closed the door behind him. "Also, show me your mark. You know the rules."

"Damn, I don't have time, this is urgent." He pulled up his sleeve ripping it in his haste. His eyes locked with Lucius suspicious ones and remained there until he pressed his wand on the mark. When it reacted with a reddish glow, the man put away his wand and smirked.

"You really need to buy some new clothes, Severus."

He shoved his arm out of Lucius' hold and resumed his path, trying to enter into the depths of the mansion.

"Don't stop me this time, Lucius. My audience with him doesn't concern a potion project to raise his powers," he said before the blond man could question his insolence.

When he reached the door to the room that housed the Lord and his inner circle, he didn't hesitate. He pushed the doors open and never stopped walking. His eyes remained on his Lord as he entered. He didn't falter. Not even when he heard the other Death Eaters' gasps and condemnations. Right now, he was the king of the place. He was important because of the information he held.

His legs stopped when he reached the Dark Lord's throne. He kneeled, showing that even entering with power, he was a loyal, submissive servant.

"I-I'm sorry, my lord. He didn't wait for me to—" Malfoy started to say.

"Severus, what issues bring you here? You interrupted a reunion and you know that this isn't your place, yet." The s in each word came out in a hiss that was similar to the way he talked to serpents, a discipline that only few people in the line of Salazar Slytherin possessed.