Chapter 82: Another of Many: Pt 1

When All is Lost, One is Found

Author: Rinoaebastel

Chapter 82: Another of Many: Pt 1

Disclaimer: I don't own Harry Potter and gain no profit from this fanfiction other than writing practice. JK Rowling owns Harry Potter.

AN: This story may contain scenes taken from the Harry Potter movies and books, but it's not exact dialogue, just rewording of dialogue or omission. It is not marked.

"Poppy!" he yelled as he crossed the doors of the infirmary. Poppy jumped from her seat and turned. When she saw what was in his arms, she rushed toward him.

"What happened?"

He gently placed Draco on a bed. The mediwitch raised her wand and began to check his vitals. He wished he could actually tell her everything that was going on. She'd understand. She'd be one of the few that would. But of course, he couldn't say anything.

"I managed to stop the curse that was afflicting him. He'll need a lot of blood, as you can already tell." His thoughts were so disheveled he wasn't sure what he said after he said it.

"From the look on your face, you do too. Are you hurt?"

"No, I need to go." He turned.

"Severus..."

He heard the concern in her voice, but he couldn't stay and reassure her. Not only was doing that out of character for him, but he didn't want her to see how furious he was.

"Potter was the one that did this," he said, his voice softer. "Tell Albus for me?"

"Of course."

Without casting another look at her or Draco, he left as quickly as he could. He rushed through the corridors, his heart beating so hard it felt as if it would crack his ribs. His legs ached and he went over potion ingredients in his head, trying to organize his thoughts. It was a struggle to keep from kicking or hitting random things he passed.

When he was in his own territory, alone, he'd be able to release his rage. Until then, he had to be the cold and detached Professor Severus Snape.

Relief washed over his body when his office door came into sight. He slammed it open and closed it back with just as much force. The bottles on his shelves rattled. He closed his eyes and took a deep breath. He took a few steps, slammed his hand against his desk, and then swept everything off the top. Papers drifted in the air before landing on various items and the floor, the inkbottle crashed to the floor, and the quill Hermione gave him set down beside the ink, barely missing the spilt liquid.

"Foolish, reckless idiot!" he yelled. Potter had his book, his spells, and it felt as if the brat were using him. He grabbed the hourglass that managed to survive his rage and smashed it against the dungeon's wall.

The crystal broke and sand flew outward, bringing a light haze to that area of the office. The hourglass fell to the floor.

That was what he wanted to do to Potter. Crush him until he was nothing but a heap of—"

"Severus..."

Upon hearing her voice, he forced himself to calm as best he could. He grabbed the edge of the chair so he wouldn't throw anything else. "Stubborn witch. Why don't you ever do as I request?" His voice sounded more miserable than he intended. He wanted anger.

"I won't leave you alone." The determination and stubbornness came through her words.

"You don't understand, and you never will." He turned around, intending to make her leave.

She needed to go. She was still Potter's friend, and always would be. Allowing her to get this close was a terrible idea. He should've kept it strictly business if they had any relationship at all. The bile rose to his mouth, giving him an acidic taste on his tongue, both because of his anger and at the thought she wouldn't be there much longer.

"I understand that you almost died in front of me. I'd understand the rest if you'd tell me," she replied keeping the calm he hadn't yet fully regained. "You've always refused to let me in completely. Trust me."

He wouldn't deny that. He'd refused to tell her the entire plan not because of a lack of trust but because he had been unprepared to lose her.

"Your friend could've ruined everything! He almost killed me with my own spell.

With a quick movement, he placed his wand on his desk so he wouldn't use it when he got even angrier. He stalked away from his desk just until he was out of reach.

"He didn't know it was your spell for sure, and you are still alive, thank Merlin." She said the last two words in a whisper.

He nearly laughed at her attempt to reason with him.

"If I hadn't managed to get there in time, our plan would have been compromised as well. I wouldn't be able to protect that stupid boy anymore or fulfill my promise. I would've died before the right time."

Hurt flashed on her face. He almost said something comforting to her, but decided against it. The more she heard about his impending demise, the better she'd be able to deal with it. It was her problem if she didn't accept that he was a dead man.

"Even if that happened, I'm not going to let you waste your life and give up so easily. Dumbledore is still here. He could fit that role too."

A sarcastic laugh was what he offered her in response. He still longed to carry the hope she had. To have her with him and live a life outside of the darkness.

Things were developing quickly now. Malfoy was hurt, the headmaster was extremely close to death, and he would soon become the murderer of the greatest wizard that ever lived.

This was the end. Her words brought forth the decision to finally reveal all. He'd been waiting to lose the only true friend he'd ever had, and was partially glad for it. If she learned to hate him, she wouldn't mourn him.

"Your precious Dumbledore is going to die! He won't be able to do anything," he said before he bothered figuring out a more suitable way to say it.

She looked confused at first, but then took a deep breath and opened her mouth to speak. "Don't start making me the target of your anger, Severus Snape." She stalked forward a bit and placed her hand on her hips. "Stop trying to run me away and expand on what you just said rather than being so laconic. I'm going to stick around no matter what, so tell me everything."

He took a deep breath. Though his heart was still pounding against his chest, the poison of his anger left him bit by bit. His voice lowered. "I'm sure you've noticed not all is right with both the Headmaster and me."

She nodded, her brown curls bouncing as if also agreeing with him of their own accord. "Yes, I noticed."

He walked back over to his desk and picked up the wand. He studied her, remaining quiet. Her posture was upright, her chin was raised, and bravery practically wafted off her.

He waved his wand and the pensieve floated from the cabinet. When it was at his side, he put the tip of his wand at his temple. His eyes remained closed until he extracted the memory. He let the silver cord fall into the magical liquid.

"If you think you're ready, then see what happened for yourself, Granger. You are well aware on how to use that," he said. He tensed when she walked forward and grabbed the edges of the pensieve. "And I hope you forgive me for involving you in this."

She frowned but didn't hesitate to let herself fall into his memories.

The only choice that he had now was to wait for her decision.

AN: And the revelation begins...Hope you liked it and let me know what you think. See you next Saturday!