Fish & Ferris Wheels

Harry's POV

I never got nervous, about anything. I'd been in enough situations in my life that hardly anything ever phased me, but it would seem that a blue eyed brunette was enough to send me into some strange state of anxiety. The past 24 hours was doing a serious number on my body, and the pep talk I'd given myself in the car on the way over had done nothing to help. I got out of the elevator and walked towards her apartment to find the door slightly open. I knocked gently before I heard her call from somewhere inside.

"Come on in, I'm just putting my shoes on!" She said from down the hall as I entered the apartment and shut the door behind me.

I saw that her and Ashley had already put up some pictures and random decorative pieces on the shelves I'd put up and I walked over to take a look. I was looking at a team softball photo where it looks like they'd won some sort of a championship, they only looked a few years younger than they were now. I recognized Ashley and Hannah, who both looked like they were on top of the world.

"Hey, sorry. I'm ready now." She smiled as I turned to face her.

Wow. My heart began to pound as I looked over at her. She wasn't wearing anything out of the ordinary, it was just her. She was glowing and radiant and I stared at her for far longer than I should have without saying anything, unintentionally creating an awkward moment.

"What? Do I not look okay?" She asked as she looked down at what she was wearing. "Should I change?" She asked worriedly.

"No. No, sorry. You look great. I didn't mean to stare." I laughed nervously, trying to snap myself out of the trance she'd put me in.

I was relieved when she laughed herself. "I thought I had something on my face or something." She giggled as she picked up her purse and motioned towards the door.

We made our way down to the car, making easy conversation, and I was surprised at how comfortable I felt around her considering how nervous I had been. As usual, I was at ease around her, maybe that was normal when you liked someone? Guess I'll have to add that to my 'Ask Gem' list.

We talked about how her practice went, and she told me about school and the assignment she was working on for next week. I could feel myself soaking in every word she said like a sponge, I just wanted to know everything about her.

"Oh man, this is my jam!" She laughed as she leaned forward and turned up the Keith Urban song that had come on the radio and began to sing along.

I grinned to myself as I watched her belt out the lyrics and dance along in the passenger seat. It was impossible not to be happy around her as she held a fake microphone in front of her mouth and sang into it. I'd never met someone like that, being around her just made me feel lighter somehow, like anything that was weighing me down just dissipated.

When I think about those summer nights

Singing out the window on the back road, sweet child of mine

She was in her own little world as she played her little fake air guitar and held her hands up, swaying her head back and forth to the music. She belted the lyrics at the windshield and I could barely keep my eyes off her enough to focus on the road.

Aint it funny how the best days of my life

Is all that wasted time

"Oh man, so good." She laughed as the song faded out and she turned it back down.

I couldn't wipe the grin from my face as I drove, I knew I'd be replaying the image of her dancing in my passenger seat in my head for days to come. We arrived at the fair about 15 minutes later and I texted Zayn to find out where they were.