Bump In The Night

Harry's POV

I laid awake, watching Hannah sleep as she cuddled into me. There was no way I was gonna be able to fall asleep with all the shit going on in my head. I felt like the answer to this was right in front of my face and I was missing it, I was just praying it would click soon so I could take care of it. I was on high alert, analyzing everything to the point of driving myself insane, but it had to be done. I had been in so many shitty situations in my life, but never anything like this. This time, I had something to lose.

I kissed Hannah's forehead and pulled her into me, closing my eyes and taking a deep breath as I tried not to think about it, but it was pointless. My eyes shot open when I heard a noise outside and immediately sat up, listening intently. Not even ten seconds later, Brian appeared in my doorway.

"You hear that?" He asked as we both listened in the silence before it sounded again, followed by the sound of glass breaking.

I jumped out of bed and ran to my closet, my heart starting to race as the adrenaline pumped through my veins. Brian kept looking down the hallway, keeping an eye on the door to Ashley's room as I opened my gun case as Hannah woke up and rubbed her eyes.

"Babe? What are you doing?" She asked as I threw Brian a gun and pulled the other two out of the box.

Her eyes went wide as I made my way over to her, kneeling beside the bed.

"Baby, I need you to take this." I said as I took her hand and placed the gun in it. "Go get Ash, and take her to the basement. Sit against the back wall and watch the stairs, if anybody comes down those stairs that isn't me or Brian, you shoot." I said quickly as she looked at me with wide eyes.

"Harry...I-"

"I need you to do this, Han. I don't have time to argue." I said as I leaned up and kissed her forehead before I met Brian in the doorway and turned to look at her. "Let's go."

I watched her scurry out of bed and follow Brian and I as we crept down the hall to the bedroom where Ashley was asleep, clinging to my arm the whole way. I stood outside the door, looking around and waiting for Hannah to get Ashley up. I wasn't leaving her until I knew she was in the basement and somewhat safe. Brian walked over to the window and peered out before turning to me and letting me know he couldn't see anything.

Hannah pulled Ashley out of bed and dragged her down the hallway to the door to the basement, half asleep and asking what the hell was going on. She paused as she reached the door, looking back at me with tears in her eyes.

"I'll be fine, babe. Go." I said as softly as the situation would allow, and she hesitantly opened the door and took Ashley downstairs.

Brian and I did a search of the house and found nothing, before we went out the back door and split up, each of us taking a different side of the house. I slowly made my way down the side of the house, clutching my gun in my hand, as I scanned my surroundings for any source of movement. It was pitch black and taking my eyes a minute to adjust, all I could hear was my heart pounding in my chest as I scanned every square inch in front f me. I was still in my boxers as my bare feet slowly moved across the grass towards the front of the house. I turned the corner as Brian came around the other side and we rounded to meet in front on the walkway.

"Anything?" I asked.

"Nope." He sighed. "I know I heard something though."

We both looked around, looking up and down the street for any signs of anything before my eyes landed on a car a couple houses down with a broken window, glass spread all over the street. I nudged Brian and motioned to it as we made our way over. We approached the car to find a brick sitting on the driver's seat, a piece of paper strapped to it with an elastic band. Brian let out a chuckle when he read what it said and I felt relief wash over me.