My Girl

Hannah's POV

Niall drummed his fingers against the steering wheel to the beat of the song on the radio as we drove towards the clinic, softly humming along.

"So how are things with Liv?" I asked him as I watched a smile creep across his face at the mention of her name.

"Good, I think." He chuckled. "I hope they're good, but I'm kind of out of my depth with the whole relationship thing. But I guess you know a thing or two about that don't you?" He smiled as he leaned over and nudged me.

"I don't think either of you is nearly as bad as you think you are. I see how sweet you are to her." I smiled.

"I try to be. She hasn't kicked me to the curb yet, so I guess I'm doing alright." He laughed and I just shook my head. "That reminds me actually, I keep forgetting to thank Harry for taking care of her the other night."

"Yeah, he said he would have expected you to do the same for me if it was reversed, so he didn't think it was a big deal." I shrugged.

"Of course I would, no question." He winked at me. "Not just cause you're Harry's girl either, cause we're friends."

"I'm Harry's girl?" I asked, half laughing.

"Aren't you?"

"I'm not sure? I mean we've kind of said that we both want to try a relationship, but I guess we've never actually confirmed exactly what that relationship is." I shrugged.

"Well from what I can tell, you're his girl." He smiled.

I smiled to myself and nodded as we drove, a little anxious to meet Liam after the way Harry had initially reacted when Louis tried to shake my hand. I was surprised he'd let me go without him, but I guess he trusted Niall to take care of me, or maybe he thought he didn't have to be as protective of me with Liam as he did with Louis.

"Niall, can I ask you something?" I asked timidly from the passenger seat of his car.

"Course. Shoot." He said casually.

"You don't have to tell me if you don't want to, you can just say you don't wanna talk about it."

"Spit it out, Han." He laughed.

"I just-Like when you said you guys got released and Liam and Louis had to stay...what did you mean? Like where were you?"

Niall took a deep breath and visibly tensed, and I immediately felt bad for asking.

"I'm sorry. Forget it, I never should have asked. You don't have to answer." I said quickly.

"No, no. It's alright. I guess you're not gonna get it out of Harry, huh?" He sighed.

I shook my head, but I knew Niall already knew the answer before he asked.

"We were in a place called Tollenworth. They called it a group facility, but it was a jail basically. We had cells with bunkbeds and cell mates, guards, all that kind of shit. It was basically just a bunch of kids like us that the system didn't know what to do with so they threw us in there."

"Kids like you?" I asked, being careful not to pry.

"Yeah, orphans that had caused some kind of trouble in the foster system. From what I understand, my mother was 14 when she had me, and she left me wrapped in a t-shirt beside a hospital the day I was born. I changed foster homes every couple months until I was eleven, when I stole some clothes from a store and got sent to Tollenworth."

"I'm so sorry, Niall." I said as I reached over and placed my hand over his.

I was fighting back tears at the thought of what that must feel like, for your own mother to just leave you like that, to never know who she was or why she did it. Niall hasn't had a family since literally the day he was born.