Revelations

Hannah's POV

I couldn't tear my eyes off Gemma as my Mom returned from walking Luke and his parents out. I looked over at Harry, who was talking to Niall on the other side of him and thankfully hadn't seemed to notice the look on her face. She stared at me, as Liam looked down at her with a worried expression.

"Gem, what's the matter? You're shaking." He asked.

"I-I'm okay. Just a little cold. Hannah, do you think I could borrow a sweater or something?" She asked and I took the queue.

"Of course, let's go upstairs and grab one before dinner starts." I smiled casually as I stood up from the table and Gemma quickly got up and followed me up the stairs.

I led her up to my bedroom, closing the door behind us as she immediately started hyperventilating and trying not to cry as she paced my room.

"Gemma what is it? Are you okay?" I asked as I put my hand on her shoulder and tried to stop her from pacing. "Here, sit down."

I led her to the bed as she tried to calm herself down, her hands trembling as she tried to catch her breath. I rubbed her back, not knowing how else to help her, as she took deep breaths.

"H-How do you know him?" She stuttered.

"Who? Luke?" I asked, completely confused.

"Yes." She said shortly.

"He's from here. We went to high school together. We dated for four years." I sighed.

Her head shot up to look at me, completely shocked.

"He-He's the ex boyfriend that Haz hates? The one he fought at your game?" She asked, somehow looking more scared than she was before as she buried her head in her hands.

"Yeah...they don't exactly get along." I sighed. "Gemma, talk to me. How do you know him?"

"I-we, I dated him too. Only for a couple weeks, until..." Her voice trailed off as she looked up at me.

I searched her face as I waited for her to answer, her eyes welling with tears as she looked over at me. It was then when I saw the soft pink scar tissue that had recently formed on her hairline and something clicked in my head, making me immediately feel like I could throw up.

"N-no...it, it wasn't-I mean, he..."I stuttered as I started to feel myself start to panic as all of the thoughts raced in my head, trying to understand how this could be possible. "L-Luke...it-it was Luke? Luke did that to you?" I asked, my voice barely above a whisper as I tried to choke the words out.

She just looked at me, not saying anything, but her face gave me the answer I already knew was true. My heart was racing as I pieced it all together, it was Luke. That day she called Harry, terrified and screaming for him to help her, when we'd gone to get her and I'd help clean her up. I'd helped clean up the cuts and scrapes, the bruises he inflicted. I'd scraped his skin from under her fingernails.

Of course she was terrified when she saw him, the last time she saw him he was beating the shit out of her. I knew Luke was a dick, but to hit a woman? Not just hit a woman, but to inflict the kind of damage he had on Gemma? We were together for four years and he had done a lot of really fucked up things, but he'd never hit me. I had noticed lately he'd been more aggressive with the way he'd grabbed me a couple of times, but I would never have believed he was actually capable of doing what he did to Gemma.

"I'm so sorry, Gem. If I had known, I never would have let him anywhere near this house. God, you must have been so scared." I said as I pulled her into me and hugged her.