Kid On The Run

Requested by PrincessPeach 

I hope you all like it. I'm so close to 100K! I can't believe it, thank you so much. Would you be interested in a Q&A if I reach it? A way to get to know me a little better :)

~***~

You were only four years old when you ran away from home. Your parents drank a lot and often got aggressive when they were really drunk. They yelled at you and called you names and sometimes they'd even go as far as hit you. You didn't like the way they treated you, so you took a few things from your bedroom and disappeared. That was almost a year ago. You lived with several different families in that time, but none of them made you feel at home. You left every time and was always found by a kind police officer. He had grey hair and always had a doughnut for you whenever he found you. He was your only friend, and you were sad that you couldn't live with him.

For a girl of the age of five, you were incredibly smart and had no trouble disappearing on your own. Lestrade always found you, but you wanted him to find you. You always had hope that your new family would be perfect, but it never was. You were never appreciated or accepted into their homes. They just took you in because they received money if they adopted you. It was exactly the same this time. You had left your new family after living with them for one month. They were horrible and you hated them, so you grabbed the few things you had and left. You were only gone for an hour, so Lestrade hadn't found you yet.

You were at the playground, staring at other kids and trying to figure out where they came from and what they were like. That was a trick of yours that you loved to use. You could tell a couple of things about someone if you'd study their behaviour and appearance for a while. It was very entertaining and quite useful, so you did it a lot. 

Suddenly, you heard the loud barking of a dog. You jumped up and hid behind the bench as you saw a tall man approach the bench, a dog leash in his hands. The dog was walking freely and was able to go wherever he liked as long as the man could see him. You were terrified of dogs and didn't like to go near them at all. So, you weren't exactly thrilled when the big dog decided to walk over to you of all places. He barked loudly and you shrieked in fear, clutching your stuffed animal. Your widened eyes stared at the dog. You were unable to move from fright. The dog barked again and you let out another scream. The man had heard you and walked towards the bench. ''Toby!'' He called. The dog barked again and you squeezed your eyes shut, afraid he was going to bite you.

You were surprised when you felt you were being lifted into the air. You peeled open your eyes and were now face-to-face with the man who probably owned the dog. ''Hello.'' He greeted, his colourful eyes scanning you. ''Put me down!'' You protested as you tried to kick him. ''Where are your parents?'' The man asked. You stuck out your tongue and started screaming. The man put you down and you immediately ran away from him. He simply rolled his eyes and caught up with you in three steps. He picked you up again, ignoring your whining and attempts to kick him. He sat down on the bench and forced you to sit on his lap. You huffed and crossed your arms, an angry expression on your face. You glared at him. ''My friend will arrest you if you don't let me go.'' You stated matter-of-factly. ''Who's your friend then?'' The man asked, chuckling at your comment. ''Defective Inspector Gavin Lustrate.'' You said proudly. The man laughed and shook his head. ''It's Detective  Inspector Graham Lestrade.'' He corrected. ''But I would be lying if I said he wasn't a little defective.'' He laughed and you smiled a little as well. ''What's your name?'' He asked you. ''(Y/F/N).'' You answered. ''Well, (Y/N), it's nice to meet you. My name is Sherlock Holmes and the dog is called Toby. You don't need to be scared of him, he's too lazy to bite anyone.'' Sherlock said, a small smile on his face.

You talked to Sherlock for a while. You found out he was quite smart and you actually started to like him. You considered him your friend. You told him about your hobby, reading people, and he explained to you what it was. He called it deducing and taught you some new tricks to get more information. After a while, Lestrade had found you again and was ready to take you to a new family... again. But this time you were not willing to go with him.

''No!'' You protested as Greg tried to pick you up. You grabbed Sherlock's scarf and held onto it as if your life depended on it. Lestrade tried to pull you back so you'd let go and you ended up nearly choking Sherlock. ''Sorry, mate.'' The DI said. Sherlock rubbed his neck and glared at him. ''Could you at least tell me where her parents are and what she's doing here by herself?'' Greg sighed and launched into the story. By the end of it, Sherlock had heard enough to realise he wouldn't let you be placed into another horrible family.

''I'll take care of her.'' He said, surprising Greg. ''You?'' He asked disbelievingly. ''Yes, I think I'll be a very suitable parent for her.'' You nodded in agreement and stuck out your tongue again, this time to Greg. Sherlock chuckled lightly and stood up, lifting you up with him. ''If Mary and John can take care of a child, so can I.'' He stated before walking away. He called Toby and headed back to the Watsons. You never ran away again.