Happy Anniversary

Requested by lemonfilledlife 

''Aah, Mr Holmes, back again?'' The owner of the flower shop greeted him. The detective forced a smile on his face and nodded. ''The usual?'' The man wondered. ''No, let's change it a little today. It's our anniversary.'' Sherlock decided. He scanned the large display of flowers and decided to go for your favourites, deep purple roses and mix them with some white lilies. You always loved the flower combinations Sherlock chose. In your opinion, he had excellent taste in colour schemes. Flowers were his way of greeting you after not seeing you in a while. He never stayed away from you longer than a week, but it felt like an eternity to him and in a way, it was. 

He bought the flowers and hailed a cab, directing the cabbie to his destination. Sherlock hid his shaking hands in his pocket, the bouquet of flowers on his lap. He was always nervous to go see you. He shouldn't feel like that, you were his wife after all, but he still couldn't quite get rid of the nervous feeling. The cab stopped and Sherlock quickly paid the fare before getting out of the vehicle. He turned his coat collar up to protect his face from the freezing breeze as he walked towards you.

He placed the flowers next to you on the ground. ''Hello again.'' He greeted sadly. He sat down next to you, slightly leaning against your gravestone. ''Sorry for taking so long to come back. It's been a week, longer than I usually take. John needed someone to babysit Rosie while he and Mary went on holiday and I offered to do it.'' Sherlock smiled softly, staring at the sky as he pictured you next to him. 

''You would've loved Rosie, my Dear. She would've loved you too.'' The ending of his sentence was barely audible. His voice cracked as tears rolled down his pale cheeks. ''I miss you, Love.'' He sobbed. ''If only I could hold you in my arms one more time. That would be enough.'' He smiled through his tears as he remembered how you'd disappear completely when he'd embrace you. You were a lot smaller compared to Sherlock. 

''Remember the last time I held you like that? You had a tough day at work, coffee had been spilt all over your new blouse. You were furious beyond words.'' Sherlock chuckled. He always found it adorable when you were angry. He wiped a few tears away and continued. ''But as soon as I embraced you, your anger melted away and you smiled that wonderful smile of yours.'' He tried to hold it together, but the image of the beautiful smile he adored was too much and he started crying again. ''I miss that smile so much.'' He sobbed, head leaning on your gravestone. ''Smile for me, please.'' He begged. ''Please.''

It remained silent, just the rustling of leaves as the winter breeze hit them could be heard. The graveyard was cold and abandoned, how Sherlock felt inside ever since you died. He let his head rest in the position he was in and closed his eyes, his body shaking as his silent tears created holes in the snow that covered your grave. Exhaustion washed over him and he couldn't bring himself to stay awake. He soon fell into a deep and haunting slumber.

~Flashback~

Sherlock stopped dead in his tracks when he heard you scream out in agony. He swiftly turned around and ran back to you. ''(Y/N)!'' He let himself fall to the floor and pressed down onto the bleeding bullet wound in your abdomen. ''Stay with me.'' He begged, tears streaming down his face. ''I-It's too late, Sh-Sherlock. Don't leave, p-please.'' You croaked. He rapidly shook his head. You were not leaving him, you couldn't. You groaned loudly as waves of pain continued to hit you. ''Sssh, it's okay. It's okay.'' Sherlock soothed. 

His bottom lip trembled as he tried to contain the sobs that threatened to come through. He had to stay strong for you. ''I love you.'' You croaked. ''I know you do. I love you, too.'' He whispered. His free hand travelled up to your face and gently began stroking your cheek in an attempt to calm you. ''I'm sorry.'' You whispered. ''Don't be sorry, Love. It's my fault. I should've beaten Moriarty when I had the chance. I'm so sorry.'' Tears were inevitable now and Sherlock started crying as he continued to press down on your wound. He let his head drop as sobs raked his body. He was at loss for words. He knew it was over. He was going to lose you. You were dying and an ambulance would never have been able to get there in time. 

''Sherlock,'' You croaked. He lifted his head and gently placed his thumb on your lips, silencing you. ''Don't speak. Save your strengths, my Love.'' You nodded. Sherlock continued applying pressure to the wound although it was no use anymore. 

Your muscles relaxed as you neared unconsciousness. You realised that once you'd pass out, it'd be over. With a lot of effort, you managed to remove Sherlock's hand from your lips. ''Kiss me.'' You mumbled. Your eyes started to close and you could no longer fight the pain anymore. With pain in his heart, Sherlock leant down and pressed a long, passionate kiss on your lips one final time. Your eyes closed and your tensed muscles relaxed again as your heartbeat came to a stop. Sherlock pulled away and frantically began calling your name, hoping that you would open your eyes and smile at him. But you didn't. He cradled your limp body against his chest and cried. The love of his life was gone.

~End Of Flashback~

Sherlock jolted awake, his heart pounding in his chest as more tears rolled down his cheeks. It was the same nightmare he'd been having ever since the day he failed to protect you. It never got any easier for him. He wiped the tears away and slowly got up, bones cracking as he stretched. He placed his hand on your headstone and smiled sadly. ''Happy anniversary, my Love. I'll see you soon.'' He bent forwards and pressed a kiss on the top of the black stone. ''Bye.'' He whispered before standing up straight again. And after one final glance, he went back to Baker Street where emptiness and loneliness were awaiting him.

In case you were wondering: yes, I did include the Hamilton references on purpose. You're welcome. Have a nice day ;)