Chemical Defect

Again, this is not a request and I'm terribly sorry about making you all wait, but I rarely write my own ideas for this book anymore and I really felt like doing that for a change. I hope you understand. Thanks so much for sticking with me, I love you all! ♥

~***~

''Sherlock! What brings you here?'' Mycroft asked, relaxing in his chair. His expression of surprise and hidden gladness to see his little brother again faded at the sight of Sherlock's serious one. ''Is something wrong?'' The older Holmes wondered. Sherlock took a small, lilac envelope out of his pocket and threw it on Mycroft's desk. He curiously picked it up and opened it. ''It has been requested that you join us for dinner tonight,'' Sherlock stated as his brother read the invitation. ''Who's us?'' Mycroft inquired. ''Me,'' The detective paused for a moment. ''and my girlfriend.'' The Government official's eyes widened at the sudden announcement. ''Excuse me?'' He said, his voice taking a threatening turn. ''You heard me, Mycroft. She wishes to meet you and has been preparing a lovely meal since this morning. She's looking forward to this and you're joining us whether you want to or not.'' Sherlock stated, maintaining his confident posture. Mycroft sat back in his chair again and glared at his younger sibling. ''What have I told you about love, Sherlock?'' He hissed, clearly disagreeing. ''It's a chemical defect found on the losing side and I refuse to sit back and watch as it poisons your brilliant mind!'' Sherlock's fist slammed on the oak wood desk out of rage. ''THEN I'M GLAD TO BE ON THE LOSING SIDE!'' He yelled. Mycroft was slightly taken aback by the sudden outburst. He realised there was no talking sense into Sherlock. ''Fine.'' He sighed. ''I shall join you for dinner tonight.'' Sherlock nodded, visibly relaxing a little. ''We'll see you then.'' And with those last words, the detective exited his brother's office, his long coat swishing in the air as his rage fuelled his feet.

He had tried talking to you about it, but you had been determined to meet your boyfriend's older brother. Sherlock attempted to explain to you how that would most likely end, but you didn't have any of it. You simply refused to accept that Mycroft was as horrible as Sherlock made him out to be. You refused to believe that someone could hate love so much when it was such a wonderful thing. To you, it made no sense whatsoever and you just had to meet the man behind these words. Despite Sherlock's complaints and warnings of how rude his brother could be, you wanted to meet Mycroft. It was important to you to get to know the family of your boyfriend. You had been together for nearly a year and you still had only heard stories about the infamous Mycroft Holmes. It was time to place a face on those tales.

A knock on the door echoed through the flat. You swiftly turned the stove off and wiped your hands on a nearby towel before rushing to the door. Just before you could reach the doorknob, Sherlock pulled you back by your arm. His widened, begging eyes stared directly into yours. ''You can still change your mind.'' He pointed out. You gave him a look and pulled free from his grip. ''He's your brother, Sherlock, and he's joining us for dinner.'' You opened the door and met the cold glare of a man even taller than Sherlock. ''Good evening.'' He stated. Despite the shivers running down your spine from his intimidating glare, you managed to form a smile on your face. ''You must be Mycroft! It's nice to finally meet you, I've heard a lot about you. It's good to be able to imagine a face along those stories, don't you agree?'' You giggled, but your smile faltered when his cold stare didn't fade. Sherlock noticed your uncomfortableness and struggles to at least try and connect with his brother, and he was soon standing by your side, holding your shoulders as he glared at his brother. His presence made you feel warmer inside and some confidence returned to your posture.