That One Night

Requested by That_Biersack_Girl 

This is a Molly HooperxFemale!Reader oneshot. I hope you all like it :)

~***~

Life had been magical ever since you both said 'I Do' at the altar. Having a wife was a dream come true for you. You had never really been a person who liked to be alone. You preferred to be around other people who cared about you. You wanted someone who would be there for you whenever you needed them and you wanted someone to spoil without it being weird. In that way, you were exactly like Molly. It was what had drawn you to each other. When the two of you met, things were beyond awkward. It took about three seconds until you realised that she had a major crush on your best friend, Sherlock Holmes. That instantly sparked jealousy inside of you and it took a while before you realised why. 

As you and Molly started running into each other more and more, you got to know one another better, and it didn't take long before a new kind of feeling surfaced. You discovered each other's talents, personality traits, sense of humour, hobbies and most importantly, you discovered that the both of you wanted the same thing, to be married. Molly's crush on Sherlock disappeared completely over time and after a few girl's nights, she had grown to love you. Your feelings for her had grown stronger as well and you were getting desperate for more than a strong friendship. However, there was one major problem that kept you from that. Both you and Molly were too shy to express yourselves to one another and your feelings remained hidden for what would be a long time. Until one day, you went to the morgue with Sherlock again to investigate a murder.

Sherlock wasn't an idiot, his power of deduction assisted him in reading everyone like an open book, including you and Molly. He had noticed changes in your behaviour lately. You were often reluctant to fetch him something from the morgue and you often insisted that someone would join you. Whenever Molly Hooper was brought up, you tended to exclude yourself from the conversation and he had even noticed redness coating your cheeks whenever her name was spoken. And every time he went to the morgue on his own or with John, he noticed strange differences in the way Molly acted as well. She wasn't as clingy anymore and rarely spoke to the detective unless he needed something. She'd sometimes ask John where you were and how you were doing, but never directed questions like these to Sherlock. It was only a matter of time before the world's one and only consulting detective had figured it out. Both you and Molly had feelings for each other. Since you had been such a good friend of his ever since you and Sherlock were little, he felt obligated to give you the little push you needed to finally admit your feelings to the pathologist.

He had asked you instead of John to join him on a new case and after you had agreed, he took you to the morgue. You had protested at first, but immediately stopped when Sherlock confronted you with a knowing smirk on his face. As you both entered Molly's workplace, Sherlock greeted her in a way you had never seen him do before. He kissed her without any hesitation whatsoever. And exactly like he had planned, you had pulled him away and yelled at him. You had completely forgotten that Molly was right next to you and you confessed your feelings for her without even knowing you were doing it. The smirk couldn't be wiped off of Sherlock's face as you realised what had just happened. And ever since that faithful day, you and Molly were a couple.

Two years later at your wedding, Sherlock was the guest of honour and delivered the most heart-warming speech you had ever heard. Life after that perfect day was amazing, but all good things must come to an end. 

After talking, you both decided that you wanted nothing more than a baby to join your small family. You contacted countless adoption agencies and tried everything to be able to adopt a child that would make your lives complete, but no matter what you did, no baby joined you two. Molly's occupation and the fame you had in the media after working on countless cases with the famous consulting detective made it impossible for you to make your dreams come true. Every single request was denied and even Mycroft wasn't able to help. Denial after denial started taking a toll on your marriage and unhappiness soon crept its way into your relationship. Desperate for an escape, for a break from all the pain and loneliness that had settled, Molly began searching for other ways to make herself feel good again. She found what she wanted in cocaine. 

It seemed illogical that a pathologist who had seen countless drug addicts who overdosed and died on her table would start doing drugs, but that's exactly what she did. She kept it hidden from you and every night when you were asleep, she'd grab her stash and get high. It was a bliss and she forgot all about the guilt, pain, loneliness and denial for just a moment. But after a few weeks of using nearly every night, the moment lasted shorter and shorter, so she took bigger doses in order to make it last longer. And that one fatal night, the dose had been a little too much for her frail body to handle. As the drugs clouded her mind, her body began to give up and within a few minutes, she died.

Your life fell apart that day. When you found her in the morning, lying motionless on the sofa, your heart broke. You tried everything to get her to wake up, but nothing worked. She was gone. That day would forever be known as the day you lost all sense of happiness. And every day a huge, dark cloud that completely enveloped you would follow you wherever you went, until the end of your days.