In The Woods

Requested by Midnightanna 

~***~

''I'm starting to think you were wrong, Sherlock.'' You sighed. You pushed some branches out of the way and tried to keep up with him. ''I'm never wrong, (Y/N). The serial killer has to be hiding here. There's no other solution to this case!'' He argued. You rolled your eyes and pulled some leaves from your hair, trying to keep moving forward, so you wouldn't lose Sherlock and get lost on your own. ''Why on earth would a serial killer be hiding in the middle of the woods?'' You countered. ''Well, I don't bloody know, (Y/N)! Just try to keep up.'' He yelled, getting frustrated. 

You and Sherlock had been working on the same case for weeks. The serial killer you were after was incredibly smart and barely left any clues. That didn't make it easy to find him. But finally, after weeks of trying to track the bastard down, Sherlock found a clue that lead to the forest you were now stuck in. At first, you were excited to go the woods. It was a whole different kind of adventure and would allow you to spend more time with your husband. But after getting lost and having to walk for an entire day, you kind of lost your interest and faith that the serial killer was actually hiding here. 

''The killer could've easily tricked us. You said it yourself, he's very smart.'' You stated. Sherlock abruptly stopped walking and you bumped into him, too focused on preventing getting slapped in the face by branches. ''The serial killer is here, there's no doubt! He might be smart, but I'm smarter!'' You looked up at him and rolled your eyes. ''If you say so.'' You shrugged. He nodded slightly before turning around to keep moving forwards and not get behind schedule even further. He took a few steps before his face met a long branch that hit him in the face. He huffed angrily and snapped it into multiple pieces. ''I HATE THE WOODS!'' He shouted. You giggled softly and carefully grabbed the hand of your panting and very angry husband. ''You're the one who got us lost in the first place.'' You giggled. He narrowed his eyes and glared at you. ''Shut up, (Y/N).'' He said. He started walking again and you tagged along once again, holding his hand tightly.

---

It was starting to get darker and you were still lost in the woods. Your feet were sore and you were too tired to take another step. Sherlock was determined to find this killer and hadn't allowed you to take a single break. You had given up on the hope of ever finding the murderer and getting out of the woods. You let go of Sherlock's hand and leant against a tall tree. You slid down until you were sitting on the sandy ground. ''(Y/N)? Come on, get up, Love. We'll find him soon.'' Sherlock assured. You miserably shook your head. ''I can't walk anymore, Sherlock. I'm exhausted and I know you are too. We're never going to find the murderer in here. We are lost, Sherlock. Just admit it.'' Sherlock dropped his head a little and sighed. ''Fine. You're right.'' He sat down next to you and wrapped an arm around your shoulder, pulling you closer. You rested your head on his shoulder and sniffed, trying to fight back tears. You were just so tired and disappointed and thinking clearly wasn't really possible anymore. ''Hey, hey, don't cry. It'll be okay.'' Sherlock shushed, hugging you. ''I'll get us out of here, Love. I promise.'' You nodded and sniffed again, wiping away all the tears. ''We're never going to the woods again.'' You decided. Sherlock chuckled slightly and pressed a kiss on the top of your head. ''No worries, Love. I wasn't planning on it.'' You sat together in silence for a while, leaning against each other. You were starting to fall asleep. You closed your eyes and snuggled close to Sherlock. He smiled and held you tighter, protecting you from the cold.

Your eyes shot open when you heard leaves rustling behind you. ''Sherlock?'' You whispered, scared. ''What was that?'' Sherlock began to get up to investigate the noise and left you sitting against the tree. ''Sherlock!'' You hissed. ''Get back here!'' You quickly got up and followed the curious consulting detective. ''(Y/N), look!'' He whispered, pointing at the ground next to a few bushes. You followed his gaze and saw leaves moving. You grabbed Sherlock's arm and unknowingly pinched him out of fright. Sherlock looked at you and chuckled. You shot him a glare. ''Stop laughing!'' You demanded. ''Don't worry, Love. I'll rescue you from the mysterious rustling leaves.'' He laughed. You let go of him and he crouched down, inspecting the leaves closely. He carefully used his hands to push some leaves aside. 

All your fear disappeared as you saw the small creature struggling to break free from the branch that was trapping it. You also crouched down on the ground and cooed at the sight of the small hedgehog. ''You have to help it, Sherlock! It's stuck.'' You begged. ''Alright, alright, calm down.'' He put on his gloves and gently tried to get the branch away from the hedgehog without it biting or pricking him. Sherlock managed to get the branch off and carefully picked up the small animal. You smiled widely and pressed a kiss to your husband's cheek. ''He's so cute!'' You squeaked excitedly. Sherlock handed you one of his gloves and you quickly put it on before taking the hedgehog from him. The animal seemed to be quite comfortable in your hand and stayed put. ''You should name it,'' Sherlock advised. You nodded in agreement and bit your lip, thinking of a name that would fit the hedgehog perfectly. ''John.'' You decided, causing Sherlock to burst out laughing. ''What? He looks like John!'' You defended. ''If you say so, Love.'' He chuckled. You playfully rolled your eyes and placed John back onto the ground. ''Stay safe, John.'' You whispered, watching it curl up into a ball.

You stood back up along with Sherlock. ''I wish we could take it home with us.'' You sighed. ''It belongs in the woods, Love. It wouldn't like Baker Street all that much.'' Sherlock said gently. ''I know.'' You rested your head on Sherlock's shoulder again and stared at John. Maybe the woods weren't so bad after all.