Phone Call

A sad MycroftxReader one shot was requested by J_R_Bones. I hope you all like it and I'll apologise again for the lack of updates lately. You mean the world to me and thank you for your patience ♥

~***~

''Run, you fools!'' I yelled. I took off my suit jacket and attempted to stop the wound from bleeding. I groaned in agony. ''Mr Holmes, we can't leave you behind.'' One of my men said, trying to help me up. ''Listen, Fergusson, I'm not going to survive this. Get out of here and rapport what we've seen here.'' I panted. The excruciating pain was exhausting me. I could deduce from the pain I only had a few minutes left. The mission had started out well, but it didn't take long before someone made a mistake and got caught. The Russians had started shooting and killed five of my men and managed to leave a gaping hole in my stomach as well. Our cover was blown and we ran. It wouldn't take long before the Russians caught up with us and take the rest of my men down. The remaining soldiers who had the ability to flee, had to run. They were our only chance of getting the information out into the world. There was no time to waste, but my men simply refused to leave me behind. I have come to realise loyalty is not always a good trait when it comes to survival.

The grip on my suit jacket loosened and more blood oozed out of the wound. It was physically impossible for me to keep applying pressure to my wound. My strength was slowly running out and so was my remaining time amongst the living. ''But, sir—'' Fergusson argued. ''THAT'S AN ORDER, FERGUSSON!'' I yelled. He stepped back in fright. I groaned in pain, instantly regretting amplifying my voice. I closed my eyes briefly and rested my head against the wall. I could feel the strength in my body slowly slip away and I soon became tired. It was hard to keep my eyes open, but there was still something I had to do before I'd die. ''I will die in approximately five minutes. This mission will succeed whether I live or not.'' I said weakly, my voice fading. ''Go.'' Fergusson shot me a pained look before turning around and running far away from this horrendous place, along with the others who survived.

I sighed in relief. My death would not be for nothing. The information would reach my colleagues and they would be able to take care of it all. My vision grew blurry as black spots started to appear. I wouldn't allow my body to give up yet. I still had to do something. With all the strength I had left, I reached into my pocket and grabbed my phone. One final call and only then would I be willing to go. She deserved at least that.

My trembling hands dialled her number and I silently begged her to pick up. ''Hello?'' Her soft voice caused a small smile to appear on my face. I closed my eyes and struggled to keep my breathing steady to numb the pain a little. ''It's me, Darling.'' I said. I tried my hardest to make it sound as casual as I possibly could, but (Y/N) wasn't stupid and sooner or later, she would realise something was horribly wrong. ''Mycroft! I'm so glad to hear your voice. I was worried about you doing legwork. You never do that. Is everything okay?'' I suppressed a groan and made it sound like a cough. ''Everything is great, my Love.'' I lied. ''How are the kids?'' I could hear my young daughter singing along to songs from her favourite television show in the background and tears welled up in my eyes. They would become fatherless soon. 

Now wasn't the time to get emotional. I had to stay strong for my family. ''They miss you, Dear. Are you coming home soon?'' (Y/N) wondered. The tears could no longer be stopped. My eyes stung as they made their way down my cheeks. ''I don't think so, Love.'' I croaked. I couldn't stop the emotion from seeping through into my voice. ''Mycroft?'' She sounded worried. ''Yes?'' I answered, trying to pull myself together. ''What are you not telling me?'' I could hear she was crying. ''Everything is alright, Love. It might just take a while until I come home. I just miss you all.'' I tried convincing her. ''I miss you, too.'' She sniffed. ''Be careful, okay?'' I held the phone away from my face as I started coughing up blood. I pressed my hand against the bullet hole and tried to hold on a little longer. I knew my time was running out.

I wiped the blood from my mouth and allowed my weak body to drop onto the floor, the wall no longer giving me enough support. I could barely keep my eyes open and black spots started to cloud my vision again. ''I love you, my Darling.'' I muttered weakly. My eyes closed and I could feel myself slowly starting to fade away. ''I love you, too.'' She sobbed. 

(Y/N) was a clever woman. I knew she realised something was wrong. I could hear it clearly in her voice. ''Myc, tell me what's wrong, please.'' She begged.

I opened my mouth to speak, but no words came out. The phone slipped from my fingers and hit the stone floor. My hand fell down by my side and coldness spread through my body. I smiled weakly as I pictured my family in my last moments. ''I'm sorry.'' I whispered. I closed my eyes, not being able to keep them open any longer. I knew it was over.

''Mycroft?!''

''Mycroft?!''

The last thing I ever heard was my wife sobbing as she screamed my name over and over again. I heard the thump of a phone falling onto the floor as I took my final breath. It was over now.