Chapter - 77

Jacob was about to say somethings he was cut off by Selena.

Jake that's enough, sorry said Selena as Jacob and Edward share a tight smile. Bella intercedes, squeezing Jacob's arm.

Bye Jake Sel and thank you said Bella.

Edward guides her away. As they walk off --

How come Jacob Black gets to give you a gift and I don't asked Edward.

He's just a friend said Bella.

"Friends" don't make his cousin make the perfect dream catcher for more than two weeks said Edward.

Stop reading his mind if he bothers you so much said Bella.

Little hard to tune out said Edward.

She just laughs, but Edward look back at Jacob and Selena with resentment. Jacob holds his gave.

Edward and Bella enter the double doors -- suddenly a small, wrapped gift appears in Bella's face. Alice presents it.

Happy --- started Alice.

Shhh! said Bella.

Alice whispers in Bella's ear as she hugs her.

Over Alice's shoulder, Bella sees Jasper and Adelyn as Jasper keeping his distance.

He offers her a pleasant nod still holding Adelyn closely. Bella tries to hide Alice's present, hoping no one noticed --

Addy you said only it's yours. Alice didn't I say no gifts ? asked Bella.

You gave the gift first and you lied. You did Bella, I didn't. We've already seen you open it and guess what ? You love it said Alice.

You both had a vision about my birthday ? asked Bella.

Yes, and about the green dress and necklace you'll be wearing to your party tonight said Alice.

Those match perfectly said Adelyn.

My party ? asked Bella.

Please ? It'll be fun. We been planning for two days said Alice.

I..... guess I can deal said Bella.

--- Great ! see ya at seven ! said Adelyn hurriedly.

Alice and Adelyn said and races off before Bella can change her mind.

Which is when Bella realizes --

Wait, Jasper, no fair with the mood control thing said Bella.

He offers an apologetic bow before Adelyn drags him away.

How do you know it was Jasper and not Addy ? asked Edward.

I forgot she could do that too said Bella.

Vampires -- you don't trust them, trust me said Edward.

Edward and Bella go to the English class.

Zeffirelli's '68 "Romeo and Juliet" plays. The suicide scene.

Edward and Bella in the back of the room, desks pushed together, whisper-talking.

I hate being... celebrated said Bella.

Come on, the last real birthday any of us had was Emmett's - I think Bing Crosby was on top of the charts. You'll be helping us feel normal for a night said Edward.

Bella sits back, knowing she's trapped. He kisses her hand.

There are worse tragedies than a birthday. Look at Romeo. He's responsible for his wife's death. Who could live with that? .. Though I do envy him one thing said Edward (looking at the screen).

Juliet's alright... if you like that obviously beautiful sort of thing said Bella.

Not the girl - the suicide. Nearly impossible for my kind. But humans, a little poison, dagger to the heart. There are so many options said Edward.

Why would you even think about that? said Bella.

He turns her wrist over, runs his hand over the horseshoe shaped scar on her forearm.

I considered it. Once. When James had you trapped. I didn't know if I'd find you in time. If I'd gotten you killed -- said Edward.