Breaking Dawn Chapter -156

'No one's staring at us,' said Bella. 'No one's staring at us.'

'They will stare at us if they hear what you say,' said Adelyn rolling her eyes. Who was driving the car.

But, because Bella couldn't lie convincingly even to herself, she had to check. As they sat waiting for one of the three traffic lights in town to turn green, Bella peeked to her right - in her minivan, Mrs Webber had turned her whole torso in their direction. Her eyes bored into Bella. She flinched back, wondering why she didn't drop her gaze or look ashamed. It was still considered rude to stare at people, wasn't it? Didn't that apply to Bella anymore?

 Then she remembered that these windows were so darkly tinted that she probably had no idea if it was even Bella and Adelyn in here, let alone that Bella caught her looking. Bella tried to take some comfort in the fact that she wasn't really staring at them, just the car. Bella's car.

Bella glanced to the left and groaned. Two pedestrians were frozen on the sidewalk, missing their chance to cross as they stared. behind them, Mr Marshall was gawking through his window. The light turned green.

'Just drive as fast as you could, please,' Bella urged Adelyn.

Getting annoyed with Bella, Adelyn stomped on the gas pedal, engine snarling like a hunting panther, the car jolted forward so fast that Bella's body slammed into the black leather seat and her stomach flattened against her spine.

The car lurched to an absolute standstill anyway. Adelyn gently nudged the gas pedal down one half millimeter, ad the car shot forward.

'Bella, how many times I asked not to leave the tank empty,' said Adelyn. 'Go fill, that's the punishment.'

Bella grumbled and moved fast as if she were in a race, she got the hatch open, the cap off, the card scanned, and the nozzle in the tank within seconds. Of course, there was nothing she could do to make the numbers on the gauge pick up the pace. They ticked by sluggishly, almost as if they were doing it just to annoy her.

It was stupid to be so self-conscious, and she knew that. Besides Charlie, Renee, did it really matter what people were saying about her engagement? About her new car?

About her mysterious acceptance into an Ivy League college? About the shiny black credit card that felt red-hot in her back pocket right now?

'Yeah, who cares what they think,' Bella muttered under her breath.

'Um, miss?' a man's voice called.

Bella turned, and then wished she hadn't.

Two men stood beside a fancy SUV with brand new kayaks tied to the top. Neither of them was looking at me; they both were staring at the car.

Personally, Bella didn't get it. But then, Bella was just proud she could distinguish between the symbols for Toyota, Ford, and Chevy. This car was glossy black, sleek, and pretty, but it was still just a car to her.

'I'm sorry to bother you, but could you tell me what kind of car you're driving?' the tall one asked.

'Um.... a Mercedes, right? I'll ask her. She knows more about cars than me,' Bella said. She came to the passenger door and knocked it. Adelyn quickly opened the window. 'They want to know what kind of car it it?'

Adelyn scowled at Bella for not caring about the make of the car. 

'A Mercedes Guardian,' said Adelyn.

'But they aren't supposed to be available in Europe yet,' the man went on, hearing Adelyn's answer. 'Let alone here.'

'I don't know,' said Bella. 'She and her brother brought the car for me.'