Chapter - 78

What would your sister say if even consider it ? Besides It wouldn't have been your fault -- asked Bella.

She would have killed me before but I had a plan said Edward.

What plan? asked Bella.

There are... ways for us. At least one way. I would have gone to Italy, provoked the Volturi... said Edward.

The who? asked Bella.

Is there something you'd like to share with the class, Mr. Cullen asked Mr. Berty.

Certainly not. But I apologize for being a distraction. Perhaps you should rewind to act five, scene one,

line twenty-eight eighty-nine --

"If you had the strength of twenty men

it would dispatch you straight." said Edward.

Mr. Berty just looks at him, then moves off, intimidated --

Eyes on the screen, people said Mr. Berty.

Bella is too concerned to be amused.

They left school and went to the Cullen's house for Bella's birthday.

Lights glow from inside the beautiful house.

The Volturi are a very old, very powerful family... said Edward.

On an 18th Century Oil painting , depicting Grecian figures in swirling robes writhing among pillars and balconies. In a high balcony, four column figure look down upon the bacchanal; two black haired, one snowy white, one golden haired...

The closest thing my world has to royalty... said Edward.

Edward and Bella (now wearing a green dress). She studies the painting - the largest on a wall crowded with pictures. The other walls are towering bookshelves.

Francesco Solimena painted this; he often depicted the Volturi as Gods said Edward.

Is that... Carlisle? said Bella.

Yes. He lived with them for a few decades. He describes them as very refined - for killers said Edward.

The Volturi are also what you might call enforcers said Edward.

Of what? asked Bella.

The only rule they have: to keep secret the existence of our kind. We don't make spectacles of ourselves, or kill conspicuously, unless we want to die said Edward.

-- as Bella spins on Edward --

Don't even -- talk about that. You can't let anyone hurt you. The Volturi or anyone else said Bella.

Who else would hurt me? said Edward.

You said there were more dangerous things out there than you. And I know you have at least one enemy -- You said she'd come after you for killing her mate said Bella.

Victoria? Yes, some day. But Alice and Addy will see her coming. And she won't win said Edward

Bella looks up at him, pained.

I hate that I can't protect you said Bella.

That was me being serious said Bella.

I know. But you do protect me...From boredom...And loneliness...said Edward.

You give me a reason to stay un dead. But it's... my job; to protect you...said Bella.

-- but he stops, smiles, hearing something in his mind --

From anyone but my sisters said Edward.

As the door bursts open and Alice and Adelyn dances in.

It's time, it's time, it's time said Alice.

Adelyn tugs Bella and Edward to the top of the landing, then skips down the stairs.

Hundreds of pink candles and rose - filled crystal bowls.

Esme and Carlisle hugs Bela warmly.

Sorry about this. We tried to rein Alice and Adelyn in said Carlisle.

Like that's even possible. Happy Birthday Bella said Esme.

Alice has snapped a picture of Bella with them.