Chapter 5

"Here you go," Matt said handing Mackenzie her gift. He thought this would be a good gift to help her for the next couple of months.

"A knife?" Mackenzie said unwrapping the box. It was a switchblade with a pink cover.

"Yes, it's silver. It's really nice." Matt said pointing at the blade.

"Thanks," Mackenzie said. She had never actually gotten a gift quite like this.

"How thoughtful." Matt's mom said, while his dad just glared at Mackenzie. All week he had been doing this. She had gotten used to it on count Matt didn't let her leave the house longer than an hour and with him glued to her hip every second except when she went to the restroom. She couldn't complain though she had nothing else in mind for Christmas and even this is better than watching tv all day in her little dorm room.

"Well, here Matt," Mackenzie said handing over her little box. He unwrapped it to find a backpacking kit. "All the essentials you need for getting lost in Uruguay and here Mrs. and Mr. Bacca."

"Oh, you got us something." Matt's mom said surprised. Mackenzie handed them over a big package. She didn't really know what they would like but Matt told her how his mom likes wine and his dad likes beer.

"Well, I just want to say thank you for letting me stay here for this holiday."

"This is great." Matt's mom said unwrapping the wine and beer tasting kit.

"They are all domestic of Montana, supposed to be the best there is. However, I don't really drink wine that much. But I know the beer is great."

"Aren't you too young for that?" The dad said staring at her.

"And you gave me my first beer at 16 so I think it is fine that she drinks," Matt said.

"It affects her differently." The dad said.

"David." Matt's mom said glaring at him. "Thank you so much Mackenzie, and I'm sorry we weren't exactly ready for a gift. But here." She stood up running to the closet. She pulls out this long black trench coat with a fur collar. "This is completely new, even has the tags on it and everything. It was a little big for me, but you are a bit taller than me so I think it should fit nicely."

"This is beautiful," Mackenzie said wrapping the coat around her. It was a nice coat, nicer than anything she owned and it was warm.

"Now that you have proper clothing you and Matt can go play outside for a bit longer." She said.

"Mom," Matt said.

"Don't worry sweety, it is Christmas." She said. "Why don't you go skating?"

"I don't know how to skate," Mackenzie said. She has only been twice in her life but it hasn't been since she was a child.

"Matt will teach you." She said. "Besides Matt, we have Victor and Michelle stopping by so I think it is best you let the grown ups talk amongst themselves."

Matt looked over at his mom with bugged eyes. "Mackenzie let's go." He said grabbing her and pulling her out the door.

"Wait let me put my coat on." Mackenzie only had one arm on before he shoved her out the door.

"No time, let's go before the sunsets. We keep the skates in the shed." He gave her a moment to put her coat on before pulling her to the back of the house.

"We have three hours before the sunsets so let's stop rushing," Mackenzie said pulling against his hand.

"Fine," Matt said looking around.