Chapter 49

Her eyes followed the snowflake as it slowly drifted in the wind, it landed down on her blue cast. She wasn't worried about it getting damaged or anything, the doctors did say it was waterproof. She strained her left hand wanting to scratch beneath the cast. She knew she shouldn't scratch, everything still tender.

The blizzard was picking up but she couldn't bring herself to walk inside. She didn't know why she had the uber drop her off here. She should have asked somebody from the hospital what day it was, but she was distracted.

She still remembers waking up, not knowing how she got there. A robe covering her, blue cast over her arms, and an I.V drip in her other arm. They said her uncle brought her in but she wasn't sure who her "uncle" was. The uber was expensive all the way from Washington but at least she was home, kind of.

"Mac?" A voice said from the side of her. She half turned on the picnic table she was sitting on, her butt was kind of frozen to it at this point. He barely recognized her, she looked smaller almost, plus her hair was a dark brown instead of her usual dark red. But he knew it was her when she turned and her large brown eyes stared up at him in delight.

"Gage?" Mac said. Gage ran up to her lifting her up in a hug and twirling her around.

"Where...What...How?" Gage asked not sure which question to ask first. He has been looking for her none stop the last two months and here she was the first thing he saw this morning at school, her sitting on a bench near the parking lot. "Your arm?" He said noticing it.

"Oh, it is nothing," Mac said.

"You are hurt and you were missing how is that nothing?" Gage said. Mac just looked at him her eyes wide.

"How long was I gone for?" Mac asked when she left it was fall now it was the dead of winter.

"Two months," Gage said his voice dropping. Mac looked at the ground, it didn't feel that long, she thought at worse it was a month.

"My..the pack?" Mac asked.

"They are fine, I think. They haven't talked to me much." Gage said, he took a hold of her damage hand gently rubbing over her fingers. "I looked for you everywhere."

"I think I was in a bunker in Washington," Mac said.

"How did you get free?" Gage asked.

"I....I don't know." Mac said. She scarcely remembered anything, the more she recalled about small little flashes of memory came to life but none of them were worth repeating. "Can you mind link Collin, tell him to get a hold of Jason and the pack?"

"Of course," Gage said, he didn't let go of her hurt hand but went quiet mind linking to Collin. They stood there in silence, Mac looked up at him. His bright blue eyes staring down at her hand. She studied the small little lines on his face, he looked tired, like he hadn't slept in awhile.

"Mac?" Jason said running out of the school, Collin, Chloe, and Matt and the rest of the pack in tow.

"Guys," Mac said opening her arms up for a hug. Jason practically lunged at her, he expected her to catch him but she fell to the ground with an oomph.

"Dog pile," Trent said.

"No," Mac shouted, the group stopped but not because she was using her Alpha tone, but more that she sounded different, weaker. "I want to hug each of you, individually." She said standing up. They gave her a weird look but lined up to give her a hug. "You didn't have to get in line, but okay," Mac said walking over to the start of the line.

"Brad, awe look at you." She gave him a hug and he squeezed her back being sure to be careful. He looked down at her blue cast in surprise, she healed fast why did she need a cast.

"Susie," Mac said she gave her a hug and Susie started to cry a little.

"Don't worry I will be fine," Susie said wiping the tears away, she wasn't the only one to be crying, even a small tear fell from her eye.

"Jazz," Mac said, she didn't really know her that well but she missed her too. As soon as she let go of Jazz John picked her up gently giving her a light squeeze.

"I miss you so much little sis, I'm glad to see that you are okay," John said giving her a kiss on her forehead.

"My turn," Ethan said giving her a bear hug. "Don't you ever do that again." He said in her ear and she nodded.

"Katie?" Mac asked she was full out crying. "I...just... missed...you."

"I missed you too, I missed all of you so much." She said loud enough the group could hear.

"Mac," Trent said smiling. She opened her eyes, but he grabbed her face placing a small peck on her lips.

"Trent, really?" Mac said smiling, she wasn't mad just found it funny and so did the rest of the group, except a few who were now glaring at him. Katie wasn't one of them, she just started laughing like the rest.

"Get off of her," Justin said, he gave her a gentle hug and placed a small kiss on her forehead. "Don't worry we will get you up and going in no time."

"Thank you," Mac said.

"Are you alright?" Chloe asked.

"I'm fine," Mac said giving Chloe a small squeeze.

"We thought you were...." Collin said.

"Don't you know sweety, I don't believe anything could kill me," Mac said. Gage's head jolted up, where had he heard that before?

"Hurry up, we want our hug," Jason said. Collin quickly dipped down giving her a quick hug but then let her go.

"Matt?" Mac said almost surprised.

"Hi, I know we don't know each other that well, but I kind of felt like I should be here." He said giving her a quick hug. He wasn't sure why but she felt familiar especially now.

"It is great to see you, Matt," Mac said. She turned surprised to find Maddy embracing her.

"Maddy?"

"I missed you," Maddy said not letting go.

"I missed you too," Mac said smiling, she thought Maddy hated her. They let go, but Maddy pulled her in for another hug. 

"I'm sorry for everything I said."

"What did you say?" Mac asked not really understanding.

"Nothing," Maddy said laughing.

"Sure," Mac said. She turned to embrace Jason. She hasn't hugged him since they have dated and it felt like fresh air. Her best friend was holding her and in that moment she knew all was going to be okay.

"Mac." Was all Jason said and she could feel the tears fall. She was gone for too long.

"Maybe we should go," Collin said.

"I'll explain to the school why you guys are missing," Gage said. Mac looked up at him smiling, her mate so sweet.

"Thank you, Gage," Mac said smiling, she walked over to him wrapping her hands around him giving him a big hug. She gave him a small kiss on the cheek and she could see pink rise up on his cheeks. She didn't feel the tingles but she knew why.

"Feel better," Gage said turning around walking in with the rest of his group.

"Are you blushing?" Collin asked giving Gage a small shove.

"Shut up," Gage said, but he turned his face away trying to hide it.

Mac smiled waiting for them to get inside. "Let's go home, guys. I want to see the others."