Chapter 37

"I hate school," Mac said, she was late for first period so she missed it but she didn't mind. She was getting ready for second period with Katie who also missed first period.

"You just hate being away from Jason," Katie said poking at Mac's side.

"Shut up," Mac said, Katie jumped when she heard a loud bang echoed through the hall behind them. Mac just turned surprised but not scared.

"Why do you never jump?" Katie asked annoyed, Mac never got scared but Katie always did. Mac just smiled turning the corner to find Gage throwing his school book at the locker hallway.

"Will you just relax," Collin said to Gage. Both of them missing first period as well.

"No, he is missing," Gage said.

"Come on let's go," Katie said to Mac but that caused Gage's head to jolt up.

"You," Gage said, he pushed Katie to side, but not too rough, she landed in Collin's arms who helped her back on her feet. He charged at Mac pushing her against the wall his hand around her throat. It didn't hurt her at all, just slightly uncomfortable and a tingling numbing sensation surrounded her skin.

"Get off of her," Katie said.

"Let her go," Collin shouted.

"I could smell you where the blood was, your scent was all over it. Where is he?" Gage asked, his face was close to hers but she didn't flinch.

"What are you talking about?" Mac asked.

"You know exactly what I am talking about," Gage shouted in her face.

"Let her go." Katie screeched. Mac held up her hand telling Katie to stand down.

"Really I don't," Mac said.

"Allen, my brother he is missing, there was a giant puddle of blood on the west side of the school and he is missing," Gage said.

"You have a brother?" Mac asked, she didn't want Gage to know where Allen was, it wasn't her secret to tell.

"Yes, and your scent was all over the puddle," Gage said.

"My scent?" Mac asked.

"Yes, it smelled like pears all over," Gage said. Mac raised an eyebrow before she started laughing. Gage let her go and she bent over laughing.

"Pears?" Mac said.

"Yes, you smell like pears," Gage said and this time Collin and Katie started laughing. The way he said it like it was serious evidence.

"Gage, look I don't know where your brother is, but if I did I wouldn't tell you because nobody especially your brother should be treated that way," Mac said.

"How do you know how he has been treated," Gage said. Mac just looked up surprised.

"Um," Mac said.

"Chloe told her," Collin said. "It isn't like it is a secret." Mac mouthed a thank you at him when Gage turned to look at him.

"Look, can you just tell me if he is alive," Gage said, he couldn't look up at Mac, too ashamed.

"I think you would know if he wasn't," Mac said. She had never seen Gage so broken up over anything, it was kind of nice to see that he cared for something besides himself and Sandy. Mac nodded at Katie telling her it was time to leave. They heard the bell ring and the hallway started to fill up quickly.

"Thank you," Gage said loud enough that Mac could hear over the crowd. She half smiled back at him but headed to her next class. "I need to go." He said to Collin before heading out of the school. Collin followed waving goodbye at Katie and Mac.