Strange

Maddie slowly pushed herself up, arms trembling weakly. She coughed, dust choaking her lungs from being planted face down in the  dirt.
Her body felt strange.

Not that she wasn't used to it. Her body had felt weird for a long time, between giving birth, falling into a coma and then somehow managing to have her consciousness transferred to some reflection version of her.

But this was a kind of weird she hadn't gotten close to feeling in a long time.
Not pain, not mind numbing cold, and not hollow emptiness.

It was almost​ like she'd felt before all that, when she'd been...alive felt like the right description, not that she'd ever become not alive. But with her physical body in the state it was, and she couldn't help but not think of her reflection self as a ghost, she didn't really see it as living, more like some kind of limbo.

It wasn't exactly like she had felt before all that happened, when she was well and happy, with her kid, her baby on the way, her extravagant taste in boyfriends and her hobby of going to extremes to piss of her stick-up-the-ass parents.
But it was close. Oh so close.

What was this? Some other level of her mirror-space limbo? Her heavenly rewards?
From
It felt like neither.

It felt... Real.

She slowly lifted her hand up to her head, running her fingers through her incredibly knotty hair.
She winced as her fingers brushed a bruise.

What had happened?

Last thing she'd remembered, she'd been in that... Place, with...

"Nyx!" She called out on reflex, the moment her mind connected the memory. "Nyx!"

"She's not here." Spat an angry, cold voice.

Maddie whipped her head around, and her eyes flew open wide in surprise. "Holy hell!"
She felt light headed. This put a new spin on everything.