Springing the trap

The hair thin thread triggered a reaction along a cleverly hidden pulley system, strung upwards along the wall to the ceiling, to where Wesley's bag was cleverly hung from the decorative light fitting.

The bag tipped, pouring the entire contents down into the room indiscriminately.
As they were designed to trigger on impact, everything activated as it hit the floor, the results combining and mixing together in a very strange cocktail.

Acrid smoke and coloured sparks and liquids of many a strange description burst forth into the room, spilling and sloshing and gushing onto the creatures, making them scream and screech in shock and pain.

From inside her small cupboard, Emilia winced at the sounds from outside. She pressed against the door, holding a coloured handkerchief to her mouth and nose against any of the smoke that crept around the door.
Supposedly they were designed to be mostly a distraction, and just to wound a little. Apparently, none of it was deadly, well, no more than one would expect with an experimental-magic-smoke-bomb crafted by four-to-seven year olds, but at the same time, it was an experimental-magic-smoke-bomb crafted by four-to-seven year olds.
None of them exactly had a degree in what they were doing.
And besides, they weren't supposed to be mixed together quite like they currently were, so all bets were off realistically.

The sounds outside were deafening, so much so Emilia wanted to block her ears, but was out of hands with the handkerchief.

Suddenly, she heard the sound of glass shattering, most likely from one or more of the windows above the room, and the sound of flurrying wings.

Emilia grinned. Were they leaving? Trying to escape? They were, she was pretty convinced they were.

In her cramped cupboard, she did a small victory dance, smiling a very self-pleased smile.