Nitty gritty

As soon as she stepped into the house, Emilia knew something was up.
She could hear the loud, violent kerfuffle floors above her head, screeching and cawing like animals on the hunt.

Which probably meant that was the way she needed to go to find them, if experience told her anything.

Predators needed prey, after all.

Feeling the familiar weight of her knife comfortingly in her hand, she stalked up the stairs, sticking to the shadows.

Outside in the midday sun, 'Candy' was struggling with Wes.

"No, no, no! Lemme go, Candace, you stupid head! I gotta get Billy and Rigsy!"

Candace sighed, scooping Wesley up and throwing her upside down over her shoulder, the little girls legs kicking in the air. "I know you do, but you can't. Look, that lady is going to look for them, and... And last I heard, Evelyn was still in there. And... We'll talk to the parents. They'll... Know what to do. Besides, it's Billy and Rigsy. They're... Diabolically smart. It'll... Be fine..."
Her high pitch sounded like she really didn't think it would be fine.

Wesley went lax in her arms, seemingly exhausted from the kicking.
"Fine."

Seconds later, a handful of something gritty poured down Candace's shirt neck, making her squeal as it scratched across her skin.

In the confusion, Wesley wriggled out of her arms as Candace struggled to loose the scratching grains from her shirt.

The little girl took off towards the house as fast as she could go, shoes making slapping sounds on the ground.

Swearing colourfully under her breath, Candace took off after her, still trying to dislodge whatever her little sister had dumped down her top.

Emilia approached the top of the stairs, then ducked out of sight swiftly as she saw them.

The creatures hadn't noticed her, completely fixated on a wooden door instead.
And Emilia was pretty convinced she could guess what was behind it.

Wow. I'm past 70 pages already?
But I'm barely in the middle of the story!
Sorry guys, you might be in for the long haul with this one.